Which spark plug to use?

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
I like the BCPR6EIX Iridium myself. For 15 psi I would probably run the 7 heat range. I don't like changing my plugs at every oil change and $42 every other year beats $12 every other month any day of the week ($42 < $144).

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
Hey grimreaper - I wish only drove 6k a year... more like every 8 weeks... anyway what boost are you running with those plugs gapped @ .028/.029, just curious since that is working for you, if mods and boost are similar to my plans. Thanks

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
And i DD it too!

sp61gt, 2.5" hard pipes, spearco knock off ic, 3" tbe, 15-16psi on pump. A lot more mods but that covers the basics

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
^^ DD damn must live close to work huh... I can't complain about what I do now, used to run 180 miles a day... hence the gottadiesel, had a tuned up Jetta TDI...

Back to topic... yes the basics look similar and my target boost is about 14-15, so right in there... could go higher but the whole DD thing, safety factor is always a good thing...

So to supraman72, though by now sure you have taken a route... all of the research I have done, imo the NGK 6282 BCPR7ES when running more than stock boost and more fuel, this is the way to go, sure have to be changed more often... but we do this because it is just has much fun to work on em as it is to drive em right :icon_bigg

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Slight revival.

ISNMS: The traditional plugs listed are copper plugs correct?

Im running into some (what i believe to be) blow out issues. Im running the NGK Iridiums 5689 BCPR6EIX originally gapped to .030. First i went to .025, and yesterday went to .020 and it has cleared up.

When is a good time to go to a colder plug? What are some symptoms of too hot of a plug? Both times i have taken them out they look perfectly Light Tan in color on the electrode.

Running 18-19PSI T-70 with water/methanol pump gas.

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
No problem. Sorry I don't know the answers to your other questions.
I think it is suggested to go one stage colder when boosting above stock level.
However this is the Technical section and hopefully I will be corrected if wrong.

1StTurbo

Jul 23, 2010
North Idaho
mkiii222;1532856 said:
I like the BCPR6EIX Iridium myself. For 15 psi I would probably run the 7 heat range. I don't like changing my plugs at every oil change and $42 every other year beats $12 every other month any day of the week ($42 < $144).

Looking at the denso Iridium plugs, I am still mostly stock and wondering what heat range an gap these would need to be? The stuff on rockauto shows the plugs as pre gaped for our needs but would rather ask now.

andyr33

May 25, 2010
quebec
Nosechunks hight boost , stock spark plug heat , stock gaz octane. you will have pre-detonation . the air-fuel mixture will fire up before piston reatch top. this like diesel engine. is the ceramic on the spark are to hot and this fire the mixture.this should be not a problem with water /meth kit i hope you understand better and sorry for my bad english guys

MikesFixedRoof

Mar 23, 2009
Queens, NY
isnms;1570894 said:

Okay now I'm a bit confused. Right now on Advanceautoparts.com (the closest auto parts store to me) they list the NGK 2330 BCPR6ES plug as a "NGK Nickel Spark Plug". Isn't that a copper plug? Furthermore, they list a NGK 3735 V Power Spark Plug, BCPR6E, which I assume is copper but it doesn't say. Anyone know what the hell plug this is?

DahnEEEE

Mar 31, 2011
Californiaaa
I'm having some trouble with my supra.
we changed the spark plugs but i had asked a friend to get some parts through his account and he bought NGK laser platinum spark plugs.
and i'm just wondering if those are good spark plugs.. thanks :]

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Personally they aren't that bad of a plug but I would probably take them back and get the coppers or iridium depending on how you feel about new or old technology. I think the iridium's would be a better fit for higher horsepower cars but the coppers work equally as good.
also if you find that your car isn't firing right with new plugs properly gapped... you have other issues that can range from a bad ground or leaky vacuum line to bad compression or blown oil rings/head gasket. I have yet to see a car that is running 100% correctly kill a set of plugs within 10k miles. Putting them in ahead of time is just good practice.

Btw... to anyone who says to use the damn search button. I dont agree with saying that... there are the occasional people who dont use it but for the most part people start a new thread to get NEW information due to upgrades in technology and maybe something that someone has found and hasn't posted yet. In this case.. I agree with you starting a new post to find out this information.

Got your back :)

DahnEEEE

Mar 31, 2011
Californiaaa
Well Idk if its the spark plug or the wires that he used but since we changed the spark plugs wires and o2 sensor my car has been running like complete crap. Like I should have never had changed it. :/

Would it be possible that since my coil packs are old that it needs to be replaced as well?

Or what kind if spark plug/wires do u recommend for a stock supra?
Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Last edited: