Which Motor

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
you arent doing a swap unless you have a steady income and have at least 2-3 grand saved for JUST the engine and trans parts. if you dont do it yourself plan to spend around 5k more. but its not just a matter of choosing the engine.

obviously 2jz is better but its also the most expensive i hear the cost is 2x that of a 1jz swap.

7mgte is the cheapest but has the bhg issue(easily fixed), probably the easiest.

1jz is the most common and decently priced.

Make sure you do your research before you know what youre getting into. it takes alot of wiring rerouting/extending. for the 2jz swap youre gonna have to bang at your engine bay to make it fit.

since you have an n/a (regardless of which engine you choose) youre gonna have to swap the transmission also(to an r154 which can hold more hp).
with the trans swap youre gonna need a new driveshaft. then theres the bellhousing to connect the r154 to the 1jz/2jz(another $300). Oh yea and a flywheel for the engine(if you dont have one yet). new clutch. slave cylinder needs to be changed.

I know because im doing a 1jz swap on my 91 n/a manual. so far ive spent around 1800 on just parts. I still need a slave cylinder and the clutch. oh and keep in mind these parts are just sitting in my garage right now. you cant start the swap until you have everything ready.

its alot to do an engine swap, but if you have the dedication im sure you can get it done. Also it helps to have a father thats a master tech mechanic 15+ years =D.

Btw im only 19 also, so if you got the cash go for it man.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I'm 22 now, and slowly saved for my 2jz swap. 87 NA - 2jz with R154. Stock twins, cost me around 10k to put everything in. There is so many little shit things that will nickle and dime you to a higher cost.

Enjoy the NA, Save your money, and plan on the swap in a few years.

Or save for a 7mgte...

1jz will cost you more than 7mgte...

Advice...learn the 7m, get the car where you want it, then think about a swap.

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
there are literally hundreds of this exact post all over this forum, search it, research, and make the decision for your self.

the decision is going to be different for every person.