Which gas is best used for an 89 turbo

Mar 22, 2007
Murfreesboro, TN
yeah its stock, i had some people tell me "use supreme man, its better for your car cus its a turboed supra blah blah blah" well i gave it a try and i felt a big difference. my clutch felt softer for some reason, didn't really feel the turbo kickin in, iono if its just me thinking that though

DaSuprawolf

Im SICK of N/A
Dec 29, 2005
ChicagoLand
oh, turbo cars sometimes need higher octane fuel, but if your still stock(which you are) go with what ever OE recommends, regular.

you will loose power if using to high of an octane fuel.

Last edited:

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Always use the lowest octane that you can that does not give you detonation or preignition and you will get the best power and gas milage.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
Toyota 1988 Owner's Manual: Page 218.

"Fuel Required:

Use only UNLEADED fuel, Research Octane No. 91 (Octane Rating 87) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, the use of Premium unleaded gasoline with a Research Octane No. of 96 (Octane Rating 91) or higher is recommended."

Meh, recommended. :beer:

Mar 22, 2007
Murfreesboro, TN
yeah....i took the chance of getting 93 because the price went down to 2.74 so i filled it halfway, man i got a way to go lol. i used 93 on my 04 civic si sometimes, it didnt do anything to it like the supra did

hock2k5

Sep 9, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
I always use premium in sports cars.

Its only like another $3 total on your fill up to use it.

If you can afford $3 you prob shouldnt have a 20 year old 6 cylinder sports car. :biglaugh:

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
I'm w/ Dwight ^, stick to premium its what the owners manual calls for on our turboed cars.

Quite frankly why risk detonating our cars w/ the reputation that we have?

If i have the ability to run a higher octane i do, i'd rather sacrifice some throttle response for safety once my car is in the 140+ KPA's (positive boost)

P.S. I dont know how octane ratings would have an effect on your clutch feeling softer, I agree, its just you.