Which engine?

gtsxtt

Anti-rice
Jul 29, 2012
San angelo TX
I know this question gets asked a lot but I'm wanting the most reliable streetable engine and have crap for experience with these, so far I've had 0 luck with the 7m due to the previous owner and my own neglect. I'm trying right now to decide on which engine to go with. My original goal was a 400 hp daily driver and the first thing I was going to jump at was a 1jz. I personally love the more modern design of the JZ engine. I've heard of numerous people having great success with the 7m gte though ,I however know nothing about 7ms except for if they have a bad oil pump it eats rod bearings and their head gaskets go bad every so often if not taken good care of. I put maybe 3000k miles on my supra and have had 3 different 7ms in it. Well now my circumstances are a little different I now have a well paying job and nothing to drop my money on except for this car I already redid the suspension got new wheels tires basically refreshed the handling and I'm about to paint it, after that I'm all in for a engine. So when I get to that what's everyone's opinion or insight on engines either 7mgte or either of the JZgtes. I'm in the airforce so the only real downtime I have is the weekends so I'd like to have the swap done in 80-100 hours max I also have a spending limit of about 4-6k towards the engine of choice as well as any other major swap parts. and that should increase with time. Sorry for the rant just wanted to get the most information out there as possible. Thanks. btw the car is a n/a 5spd

supra_rulz

Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
You sir, need to go research. You arn't the first person to ask this and there is PLENTY of information, no, more than anybody could ever handle on EACH of these motors. 400hp daily is easy with any of those motors depending of how you go about building it, but again there are hundreds of different routs you can go. GO READ!

gtsxtt

Anti-rice
Jul 29, 2012
San angelo TX
Ok right I did research was thinking 1jz. Open to constructive criticism and opinions on why I should/not go with. There are ALOT of threads for me to go through as I have.

19supra90

Noob.
Mar 11, 2008
Findlay
A lot of it is personal preference. The 7m, 1j, and 2j are all good motors. And with your goals the 7m will do just fine. You just have to have the patients on building a reliable motor. I'm no expert by any means. I've read a lot, and I mean a lot! Don't take any shortcuts on the 7m and it should do you just fine. But take that with a grain of salt as I've never built up an engine. It's just from what I've read and a lot of people have had great success with building a tough, reliable 7m. But yes there is a ton of info of which route you should go with your goals.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Years ago when you could get complete MKIII front clips from japan with 1JZ's in them for cheap, the 1JZ was a great swap. Since then the gap has closed on 1JZ and 2JZ swap costs and reliability, especially with a 2JZ-GE NA-T running on 7M-GTE electronics.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
Poodles;1939845 said:
Years ago when you could get complete MKIII front clips from japan with 1JZ's in them for cheap, the 1JZ was a great swap. .

$2800 CDN what I paid, and by far the best route... you get the AC stuffs, OEM FMIC stuffs, extra front suspension/brakes,

all the wires and fusebox..

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
gtsxtt;1939824 said:
so far I've had 0 luck with the 7m due to the previous owner and my own neglect.

That has nothing to do with luck.

if they have a bad oil pump it eats rod bearings

So do all engines, including the JZ series. If you take away the oil....

and their head gaskets go bad every so often if not taken good care of.

Again, that is true of any engine with an iron block and aluminum head. It is what dissimilar metals do. In fact, that is the basis for turn signals and circuit breakers.

I won't suggest one thing or another. But you put blame on one thing, while saying you know it was from the other. That makes no sense.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
just stick with a 7m it's so easy to reach 400 hp and they don't have all those issues unless it is not taken care of that goes for any car like nick said
and the 7m will have more torque also
if you wanna take away half a liter just to have a more modern engine go for it it's all personal preference

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
if you can get a wiring harness built any jz will be easier to make higher hp numbers without major modifcation to the whole motor. with that being said it's not always easier to do a engine swap, connect up the harness, make your new downpipe fit to your old exhaust ad get it running. Although you could probaby just throw on a intercooler and turn up the boost and start seeing 300rwhp(if your stock twins hold). As for a 7m, if you did the same thin to a stock motor you'd have a headache on your hands, you'll need a new headgasket and hardware, plus a machine shop to get it all ready. If their is scoring you'll need to bore out your motor and get bigger pistons/rods which is also going to cost you $$ but once you do all that you have a reliable car. The routes for modding these motor to get 400hp are completely different. so if I were you, I'd pick a side, do the research and in the mean time expect to spend 5000$, hell Ive put 7 grand into my car (1jz tt-r) including some suspension and it's still not where I want it for a reliable 400rwhp.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
My own personal 12 years of 89 Supra NA experience, blown head gasket on original 7MGE repaired, never ran right after that, 500.00 ebay jdm 7mGE motor, decent miles, then blown head gasket, professionally rebuilt 7MGE, began to have problems buring oil in number five cylinder within a few thousand miles, eventually died showing zero compression, Kaizen Motorsports installed used 2JZGE on 7MGE electornics, including smog equipment, runs perfect, burns no oil, reliable and a little more power. Next upgrade is CA 94 Lexus computer and harness, then a trip to the smog referee.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Suprapowaz!(2);1940008 said:
Oh, you want some of this JZ lover!? I got your 7m right here! Anytime, any place. Bring it!

Lol.............I know your not one of those delusional 7m guys that think the 7m just gets a bad rap....or do you?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Oh snap, and I just read your Sig too... it's on like donkey Kong sucka!

OP, on a serious note if you can afford to go 2j do it. I haven't heard one complaint, or a single regret from doing so. I'd even consider running a 2jzge with 7m electronics.

gtsxtt

Anti-rice
Jul 29, 2012
San angelo TX
Suprapowaz!(2);1940314 said:
Oh snap, and I just read your Sig too... it's on like donkey Kong sucka!

OP, on a serious note if you can afford to go 2j do it. I haven't heard one complaint, or a single regret from doing so. I'd even consider running a 2jzge with 7m electronics.

I should probably do it right and get a 2jz I got a pt62 something that I took off of my Saturn before I sold it drop that on a jz should be adequate for my wants I hope

Nick M;1939890 said:
That has nothing to do with luck.

So do all engines, including the JZ series. If you take away the oil....

Again, that is true of any engine with an iron block and aluminum head. It is what dissimilar metals do. In fact, that is the basis for turn signals and circuit breakers.

I won't suggest one thing or another. But you put blame on one thing, while saying you know it was from the other. That makes no sense.

Yea when I got the car the rod bearing was already bad because the guy befor me rebuilt it with standard bearings and I spun it hitting redline we tore that out got one out of a cressida didn't know the oil pumps were different took the gears out of the cressida pump and put them into the supra housing they were a little tighter but not good enough spun the bearing on the one I got now, got a new oil pump and crank kit driving it from Georgia to TX Saturday back to goodfellow afb gonna drop the 7m into my girlfriends cressida and get a jz for my car.