Where to get my r154 rebuilt?

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
Was wondering if there were any well known places where i can have my r154 rebuilt here in South Florida, or if you could point me in the right direction as to where i can send my tranny to be rebuilt? I know marlin crawler, just looking for other options too.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I don't know about any shops in Florida, but a vendor here (SpeedforSale) had an r154 rebuid special a couple months back- haven't heard any reviews about the rebuild, but might be worth looking into!

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
toyotanos;1780954 said:
I don't know about any shops in Florida, but a vendor here (SpeedforSale) had an r154 rebuid special a couple months back- haven't heard any reviews about the rebuild, but might be worth looking into!

He was first person i contacted lol, just trying to see if there is anyone locally that does a decent rebuild. Shipping isnt fun... :/

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Meh, shipping isn't that bad imo. He should be able to show you the way to go with shipping as far as keeping it cheap.

On that note- why do you need it to be rebuilt?

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
my 2nd gear syncro is going out, hard to downshift and now i have to shift perfect for it to go into 2nd gear smoothly...

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Ah, same as my old one. Be aware, you may need to buy a new speed gear/synchro ring for the grind to go away. I went with a cheap used trans from a reputable source, otherwise a low-miles used may be a better option, but be sure to get one with the same options as yours (abs sensor is a biggie)

Think of it like this: each time the gear grinds, the speed gear and syncro ring are taking small amounts of damage, eventually they will be junk (engagument teeth should look like this: < or V after gringing a long time, they look like this: ( or U