Where are the oil passages on back of head/block?

suprabee

Celicasupra.com Member
May 18, 2006
Scotts Valley, California
I have had a small coolant leak at the head gasket for about 7or 8 years. It just seeps out a now and then. I've marked the area that I know has been leaking coolant on the photo with the yellow line.

I took the car in to the shop for what was thought to be a rear seal oil leak, but I am told there is now oil leaking at this same area. Its not leaking from above the HG area. Its dripping down the silver coolant return pipe, onto the subframe and then drips from the beel housing. (reason why we suspected the rear main seal).

Its not the valve cover gaskets. They are new and use hex bolts on them.

assuming that the head gasket (which again I know has been leaking..but coolant) has become worse, then where might the oil be coming from?

I don't see an oil passage in that area or am I mistaken? Is the hole I boxed around in RED a oil return hole?

If there is no oil passage in that area (of the yellow line) in the photo, then perhaps the head itself has cracked. but.. Car runs fine, passes smog, has no oil in coolant.

(photo is not the car, but for demonstration only)

suprabee

Celicasupra.com Member
May 18, 2006
Scotts Valley, California
andrew_mx83;2063888 said:
The red circle is indeed an oil drain.

Ok, well then that is it... thank you, I was not sure. Makes sense then, and I think that over time, the coolant has caused the GH to fail more at that location, now causing oil to leak.

thank you