whats the worst from crossing the battery terminals

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
ok my moms boyfriend has an 04 infiniti and he crossed the - and + and his car wont even turn over anymore.. we checked all the fuses relays and circuit breakers and changed out all the blown ones, changed the battery out but the only thing that works is the headlights.. is there any major thing that couldve went bad when he did this? btw i am not the one checking the car, its at his job so im only on the phone giving suggestions

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
have they tried checking the wires for possible connection cutoffs? and by "only headlights working" u mean everything doesnt work except that? do the gauges light up? radio? etc.... thats all i can think of

osama1234

Noob
Jun 30, 2007
vancity
I did that on the supra. I blew the fusable link that ran between the alternator and the battery, and i fried the alternator (which based on how alternators are made, unless his is protector with a fuse somewhere, it probably is fried on his car too).
I could tell that mine was blown because there was virtually no resistance between ground and the positive (battery charging port) on the alternator. Tell him to check that.

(Also, I dont know exactly but from the sounds of it... if only headlights work and all the other obvious electronics aren't working (stereo, interior lights, brake lights, dashboard lights), i'd bet there is a 'main fuse' that is blown. Try looking for all the places there maybe fuses/fusable links.)

x10secondzx2

I love you.
Nov 25, 2007
Viera, Florida
www.myspace.com
sparkplug619;1206662 said:
ok my moms boyfriend has an 04 infiniti and he crossed the - and + and his car wont even turn over anymore.. we checked all the fuses relays and circuit breakers and changed out all the blown ones, changed the battery out but the only thing that works is the headlights.. is there any major thing that couldve went bad when he did this? btw i am not the one checking the car, its at his job so im only on the phone giving suggestions

My buddy fried his ECU in his VG30 Nissan Hardbody. If it has a warranty take that bitch back to the dealer and say idk what the fuck happened. If it doesn't have a warranty hit me up, I need a VQ35.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Sounds like when you crossed the wires it made the car think it was an Infinity. Better go down to the dealer and pick up some new Infiniti emblems so the car knows what it is again.

(PS: Usually it will blow one of the high-current fusible links, but without being more familiar with Nissan, I can't say what usually happens with their wiring setup).

Jeff