whats a good price on a blown motor?

Sinister Supra

Apr 14, 2008
NJ
As of now I drive 91 N/A but I was thinking of building a new engine but I don't want to do a 1jz or 2jz swap. So I want to build a 7m-gte, but I dont know what a good price is on a blown motor. So if guys could help it would be greatly appreciated.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
is there such thing as a good price for a blown motor? lol. just my opinion but i would either buy a working 7m-gte or do an N/A-T conversion like im doing. you save a bit more money for essentially the same result. if you want to look more into it just search for N/A-T conversions on the site.

Tae361

Jul 15, 2008
NY
depending on what you plan on doing with the motor, i'd just buy a used JDM motor instead, but if you know what youre doing you can do the full build. a 7m-GTE can be gotten for free if you can find someone that wants one out of their garage, but I personally wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred depending on how bad the motor is.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Forget the blown motor...

If money's the main consideration, I'd find a good JDM motor, clean it up and change the headgasket (much easier with the motor out of the car).

You gotta be careful who you get the motor from, I've seen great ones that look and ran almost like new, and I've seen some real stinkers too. It seems to be that some import company's consistently get good motors, and some specialize in boat anchors.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
I wouldn't bother at all with a "JDM" Motor. At the end of the day, they're just as likely to have been ragged and bagged as a US motor and I guarantee you that the mileage claims aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Granted you could end up with a great motor, but you're just as likely to end up with a pile of shite that's going to require a rebuild anyway.

A 0 Mile freshly rebuilt engine, or a 20 year old motor with absolutely no history? Seems like a no brainer to me :dunno:.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
I agree with DonS1mpson on this one. I would much rather build the motor myself than trust an anonymous donor motor. That way I know exactly what I'm getting. Besides, rebuilding the motor isn't that expensive if you do the work yourself. Why wouldn't you pay the extra for a brand new motor over a used one?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Sinister Supra;1124939 said:
Nah i want to build the motor from the ground up. That's why i want a blown one.

well here is the issue with a blown motor.

How did it "blow"?
Did it do any damage to the engine block itself?

For you to verify that the block is A-OK require some expensive testing (magnaflux, ultrasound check etc). A working motor, well if it is working and not smoking like it is fumagating the entire state of Florida for mosquitos, than the probability of the block being bad is very very unlikely.

Price I would pay for a blown motor....-$50. They would have to pay me at least $50 dollars to take it off thier hand as 300#+ of motor is a pain in the ass to haul away and carry.

Sar-Supra

Powertrippin´
Aug 28, 2006
Currently in NY
Sinister Supra;1124939 said:
Nah i want to build the motor from the ground up. That's why i want a blown one.

If you want a good advice:

Even if you are considering rebuilding it from the ground up you will have more issues with a blown one than with a "good" one. For instance:

Head
Block
Crank
Valves
etc.

Better get a "good" one and rebuild that one.

Just my personal experience. And I´ve seen enough "blown ones"...Trust me...