What would YOU expect?

Disco Stu

Unaturally Aspirated
Apr 6, 2005
Forth Worth
What would you guys expect to see on your boost gauge after some minor mods? I finally finished up my rebuild a few months ago, broke her in real good, fixed a cripling exaust leak and got just under .5BAR of boost on the Defi. When I put the motor together I put 9.2:1 .020 over pistons in and 4mm of washers on the wastegate expecting about 4 psi. extra boost but it didn't happen. I also started out with the APEXi intake kit, not expecting a whole lot from it alone. THEN I picked up an HKS downpipe and put it on - holy crap! First time out I hit fuel cut at 16psi in first gear by 4k rpm. Has anyone else had experience with a high comp. motor that can let me know how their experience was with it and if this kind of gain is normal? I'm not complaining, but damn - more than double the boost pressure seen at the manifold by a crappy HKS downpipe alone?!

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
my car was running 4.5psi bone stock. i thought it was supposed to be running more boost than that bone stock. i gutted my pre cat, installed an 80mm HKS, dummy second cat and that alone upped my boost. it went to about 8psi with those exhaust mods.

so yeah, i imagine shimming your wastegate and the DP would bring your boost up a bit. i don't have high compression though.