what would be the best option to go in my n/a. help

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
For a while ive been wanting to swap a 7mgte, but i recently started to consider the 2jzge as well. I was wondering which setup would be the least expensive in the long run.
I know for the 2jzge i can pick it up for a decent price, but i will need a 1jz bellhousing, 1jzflywheel, and bic motor mounts which adds to the initial price. Another thing that has me worried with the swap is the wiring. Since i was gonna keep it non turbo i could use my 7mge electronics and ecu? and what else would i possibly need to do this swap, ive read that many things hook right up but many were using the 7mgte harness. Also i would have to change the oil pan if i cant find one that is rear sump.

a few questions i have are: Do i need the harness from the 2jz in order to complete the swap? and what would be the most difficult part of this swap? One of the reasons i was considering the 2jzge is because i can always turbo it later down the road.

As for the 7mgte i feel it would be easier, but the headgasket job would add to the price, and i would have to get the turbo harness and ecu and any other little things needed for the swap.

Ps. In my car i have the r154, and turbo rear end. My power goals would be in the 300-400 range, but if i go 2jzge i would be fine keeping it n/a for a while

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
just found a guy selling a 7mgte (off a 90, just know that its grey plugged) that is inside of a 1980 Supra... Going to go check it out this weekend. Any ideas on how much i should offer if the engine is good, if the price is right ill take his r154 as a spare as well? Im going to get a leakdown/compression test before buying..

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
Test drove it, and it pulls hard lol... spinning 1st and 2nd. The car is in bad shape but the motor seems fine. I havent noticed how hard it is to shift in my tranny. this cars tranny was smooth as butter, while mine is a bit tougher. It has a modified rear end and drive shaft. The car also has no exhaust only running a downpipe, and no tachometer, only gauges it has are boost, afr, water temp, and oil. He wants 1500 for the whole car, going to have a compression test on the engine and if all goes well i WILL be picking this up :]