What vehicle to tow with?

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
My supra has many mods that make it very fun, but not necessarily the most reliable daily driver (not due to breaking down, but due to me messing with it :p). I'm moving about 5 hours away for the summer for an internship and I absolutely do not want to leave the supra here. I have been driving around my family's old previa mini van when the supra goes under the knife, but now I am looking for something a little more permanent, i.e. something that I don't borrow all the time.

I am basically looking for something that would first and foremost be able to tow the supra occasionally, gets decent gas mileage, is reliable, and is in the under $7000 range. I have been researching the late 90's V6 Toyota Tacomas, but it seems that the pricing is a little too high. My friend's parents are thinking about selling their 99 Jeep Cherokee (I6 4.0L) with 115k miles and I could probably pick it up for a very fair price. They are the original owners of it and I've actually helped do maintenance on it.

What are your thoughts on this? Any suggestions or other vehicles that might be suitable?

Atsushi7mgte

Sep 26, 2007
Oahu, Hawaii
Id say go for it if you got the money

i used to have a jeep before my supra and those things are TOUGH i jumped it, off roaded, burned out, and pretty much anything you can do and it always started up perfect the next morning. And the 4.0 motor is more then capable of towing the supra

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
jeep Cherokee's will nickel and dime you to death so be prepared....they are reliable but alot of bull crap goes wrong with them....like dash gauges...brakes....sensors....just stuff that doesn't cost alot but is always making you spend money....this is my personal experience along with everybody i know who has ever had one...my best friend has gone threw two of them and got so tired of fixing stupid things so he sold it and got a Volvo s80.

i personally would recommend something like a ford bronco but there goes your gas mileage

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
p948253_1.jpg
p948253_2.jpg

i love my beast. she gits er done.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
A Jeep Cherokee is not enough truck to pull a 3500 lb car + whatever the trailer weighs. It just isn't. Even the early 90's Grand Cherokee's weren't enough truck to do it safely. If I were you I would buy a 97+ Ford F-150 with the 4.6 and call it a day.

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
The 4.0 grand cherokee will be ok, it will do the job. The V8 grand cherokee will do it a bit better. Gas mileage...well, if you want to tow something around your gonna pay for it.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Anth505;948346 said:
The 4.0 grand cherokee will be ok, it will do the job. The V8 grand cherokee will do it a bit better. Gas mileage...well, if you want to tow something around your gonna pay for it.

You fags think Jeeps can do anything. ;)

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
You're just jealous that you don't have one. Jamie...btw, there's gonna be 1ft of snow by this time tomorrow...I know I won't have any problem driving around! Call me when you get stuck. I might come pull you out if you take back the "you fags think Jeeps can do anything" comment. You Jeep hating monkey testicle. :) Hope you can make it out tonight.

On topic....Jeeps can do anything. Including towing your Supra. Nevermind the comments about little problems with the Grand Cherokee...it's a Jeep thing! :)

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
Jeeps are like tampons.....................................Every pussy has one.........sorry I had to I love that comment when everyone is talking about jeeps. Get a dodge diesel and be done with it 12v cummins FTW. Dad used to own one SOB never quit. even got it dragged into a lake once when we blew out a tire. Tow truck pulled us out new interior and we fired her up. first try everytime.............should have kept that truck now too damnit

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
For $7000, get yourself a late 90s, early 00s V8 Silverado 1500.

Recommend the 5.3L if you can, but the 4.8L is fine, too. LSx based motors = in it for the long haul.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If you just want something to haul with and be reliable, go with Diesel or displacement. Chevy trucks are nicer to drive than Ford's in my opinion. I have owned both. Ford trucks are pretty tough though.

Toyota h8r

Formerly KILLERMK3
Jan 24, 2006
Sylvania ohio
www.cardomain.com
Doward;948406 said:
For $7000, get yourself a late 90s, early 00s V8 Silverado 1500.

Recommend the 5.3L if you can, but the 4.8L is fine, too. LSx based motors = in it for the long haul.

6 bolt mains FTMFW! Slap a STS turbo kit on it and they arent too slow either :evil2::evil2::evil2:

but if ya wanna diesel go 12 valve cummins!!!!!!:naughty:

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
google dude! i cant believe you've never heard about sts turbos before... they basically put the turbo in place of the muffler in the back of the car. lots of pros and cons.

http://www.ststurbo.com

and diesel for the win, when your towing with a V8, prepare to pay out the ass. my girlfriends parents wish they had gotten the diesel excursion, instead of getting 9-10mpg they could have easily gotten 20+ with the diesel excursion... they tow boats, there off-roading jeep, jet skis, anything! even a supra when i bought my 90, didnt even sweat towing it!

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
i just bought a 02 dodge 1500

i love it and it hauled my supra very easy. i didn't even notice i was pulling a car with it. i usually about 18 mpg driving very lightly. on the highway it's around 25 mpg

i bought mine for $10500... but you may be able to find one for $8 or 9 if you can spend a little more. mine is the SLT 4 door too, so i'm sure a regular 1500 would be cheaper

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
I loved my Jeep Grand Cherokee but would not recommend towing a supra with it. They are reliable as hell and only have minor problems but I dont think a Jeep is what you want.

I second the V8 truck. You can def. get one for $7000 or less.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I have towed a Dodge Dakota with one of my old Supras.

edit: For the record, I was driving my 7MGE powered 87 Supra with a W58 trans. The Dakota was a 95 4 x 4, with the 5.2 V8.

And if anybody lives in Denver, it was from Sheridan and Federal to Elizabeth near Parker.

Last edited:

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
:rofl:

I can't recommend towing with a 4.7L V8 '04 Dakota. Had a hell of a time just towing the empty shell of a '70 Maverick. :3d_frown: