What up from Ohio

Slick Nick

Apr 8, 2008
Youngstown, OH
my name is Nick, I joined this forum because a friend of mine has a 89 supra n/a. Hes been wanting to get rid of it and I am looking to buy it off of him. Im still trying to talk him down a bit, he wants wayyyyy to much for it IMO.

Just trying to read up and figure out how much work it would be to turbo it, cuz if I buy this car, it will probably not stay n/a for very long. The car would be a good winter project id imagine.

Any suggestions about the best route to go with an N/A 89 Supra are most appreciated.

- Slick Nick

Murd

Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver, WA.
Welcome! Best idea is to find a turbo motor and swap it in. You can do NA-T as well, but won't get as much performance out of it from what I have read here. Check the 7MGE sub-forum for things you can do to a N/A.

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
Sweet, another Ohio Supra owner (maybe). Welcome to the forums. If/When you buy this Supra, you could also check out OhioSupras.org for local Ohio owners that could help you go NA-T or GTE swap. Good luck.

drift40

Banned
May 1, 2008
IN
welcome. i would think about doing a motor swap to a 7mgte or better it is less hassel i believe then going from NA to T

Slick Nick

Apr 8, 2008
Youngstown, OH
Well, originally, the guy wanted like $4000 for it, but I told him he was out of his mind... And then he talked to me like a week or so later, and said that now hes looking for about 2800 or so.

Im not sure, the guy barely drives the car and he kinda just wants to get rid of it, so i have a feeling if I showed up with like 2300 cash, he would probably take it.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
It would have to be in great shape to pay that much for an NA, but you'll have to be the judge of that. Does it have any known problems at all? He'd be crazy not to take the $2300.00 for it in my opinion. Good luck.

Slick Nick

Apr 8, 2008
Youngstown, OH
This car is damn clean though. The body is in great shape, no rust anywhere on the car, it had to have been garage kept its whole life. As far as I am aware, there are no mechanical problems with the car at all and it has like 85,xxx miles on it.

And I know this guy who is selling it, so I dont think he would be lying to me about it. And if I buy the car off of him, I go to the same gym as he does, so its not like im never gonna see this guy again after I buy it. Reason I say that is to reiterate my point that i dont think hes trying to screw me over.

Also the car is pretty much bone stock. I think the guy put a K&N air filter and a muffler on it. And he also put a different wing on, a new CD player, 1 12" sub, and a sticker across the window that says SUPRA. Its white with blue interior, targa top.

suprahabsfan

Boost Addict
Sep 28, 2007
Sylvania, OH
Thats tough. You can find an NA cheaper than $2800. I would look on ebay for a turbo supra. You can get one that cheap if you shop around and get one at the right time.

suprahabsfan

Boost Addict
Sep 28, 2007
Sylvania, OH
suprahabsfan;1034437 said:

But like I said, I would look on ebay or here for turbo cars around that range. Unless you don't care about speed at all, then you will be wanting more after a while driving the NA, and it will cost more to swap a 7mgte in there then buy an already turbo'd car.

Slick Nick

Apr 8, 2008
Youngstown, OH
Yeah ive read that sticky in the 7M-GE section about swapping in a GTE about 4 times now. Would you say that $2000 is a fairly accurate figure as what to budget for the engine swap?

I think I might prefer to get a N/A supra and swap in the turbo engine for a couple reasons.
1. Cheaper insurance if the car is registered as N/A
2. The car was probably beat on less if it wasnt turboed
3. I can drive the car while its N/A and aquire all the parts in the meantime to do the swap the right way while still have some fun with it.

Plus like I said, this car in particular is well taken care of. The biggest issue im going to have is convincing my Dad to let me take up a spot with "another goddamn rice burner" ... one that is 19 yrs old to boot.

suprahabsfan

Boost Addict
Sep 28, 2007
Sylvania, OH
I dont know about the $2000 figure, but it is always cheaper to just buy a turbo car. You mentioned buying the parts while enjoying the NA.... how about buying a turbo, enjoying that even more, and only worrying about accumulating performance parts :evil2: Do the mods I have in my sigs at least and let your dad drive it and see if he still thinks its a rice burner, I got my dads attention when I beat his ford lightning

The only time i ever reccomend a na-t swap is if you get an NA for cheap, or if you find one with a bad/going bad motor.

Are you doing the work yourself?

Slick Nick

Apr 8, 2008
Youngstown, OH
Yeah I'll probably end up doing a lot of the work myself. As far as tuning it, Ill probably have to take it to a shop, but I would be swapping the engine myself.

Slick Nick

Apr 8, 2008
Youngstown, OH
Will do. r u on that Ohio supras group as well? Do you know of any active member on here or there that are near me? cuz u said ur way over near Toledo right?