What should I use to clean my shortblock

mk3_kid_87

Apr 12, 2005
Well I have a shortblock getting ready to be built ... kinda... anyways I was looking through the tsrm and they said I should Clean it with Solvant and a soft brush... what Kinda solvant is safe to use or do people recommend to use?

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
if your oil pump drive shaft bearings are in Like-new shape, like some ar... you dont need to hot tank it. hot tanking will add more costs to teh build than necessary. you can just clean it all out with bore brushes and straight Purple Power cleaner. that stuff works pretty damn good. you could also power wash it. the only catch is you MUST spray the entire bitch down w/ WD40 cuz the cylinders and deck will rust out in minutes!

7MGTEJoe

Mar 31, 2005
Salinas, CA
I don't have a personal preference for solvent, IMO they'll all get the job done if you take your time. Some may make the job faster but I never noticed a difference.

Cleaning isn't a task I like to give to the machine shop; it's easy to do yourself and they probably won't be as anal about getting every last metal chip out of the engine. The most important aspect to me is taking your time and investing in a nice set of brushes for all the nooks and crannies. Use solvent until it's degreased, then switch to simple green and extremely hot water for the bulk of the clean up work. When you're sure it's clean rinse it out with hot water, blow it dry with compressed air, give it a coat of WD40 to keep it from rusting then seal it up in a trash bag to keep it clean.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
i use simple green like its going out of style. works great! just watch out for paint covered sections as i think it will strip it

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
MKIIINA said:
i use simple green like its going out of style. works great! just watch out for paint covered sections as i think it will strip it

not if its the simple green i am thinking of, we use it on the deck of my dads fiberglass painted boat all the time.

bgrieger

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto
Simple green is good stuff. It's only really hard on your hands. I use it on painted surfaces all the time, but don't scrub it there much as it will take some surface off the paint. Wipe dirt and crud off or brush it with a toothbrush or similar to get the tough stuff loose, then go back to more gentle cleaners to finish it up.