What replacement turbo is best for me?

Thefox

Mar 19, 2013
Syracuse, NY
This is my first turbo car build so I’ll try and hold back the total noob questions.

I am using a ’91 turbo motor in a ’88 turbo targa roller. I’m using a ’91 gray connector ecu and the stock 5 speed trans that was in the ’88 (R154, I believe).

I am pick up the short block from the shop this week. Crank has been polished, new main bearings, honed cylinder with new rings, valves were reground and shimmed with new stem seals. I told the shop to go over the motor to freshen is up, I’ll get the breakdown of anything else they did. The motor ran ok before it was pulled and the shop said it was in good shape (95,000 miles), there was a little extra oil in the #2 cylinder but they said everything still looked fine. I drove the ’91 for a few laps around the parking lot before pulling the motor, it smoked and the turbo never seemed to build any bost. The kid I got it from tried to change out the turbo himself and gave up… when I pulled it there is some shaft play.

What are my goals: A reliable fun car that I can drive most days through the summer. 350 HP to the rear would be cool some time down the road but I want to get it going first.

I don’t want to replace the turbo it with something I will have to replace soon after unless I am picking it up cheap. I’m also afraid to change too much because I want this car to work when it’s together without much tuning.

What I have planned currently:

Fresh stock short block
ARP studs
ARP flywheel bolts
Flywheel (have)
3” turbo elbow (have)
3” downpipe (have)
Driftmotion 3” exhaust without cat (have)
Intake (maybe an Apexi?)
Boost controller (still have to figure this part out)
New BOV (can't remember what one is best)
Replace/rebuild the blown CT 60-1 turbo
New clutch (recommendations on this too please)

Down the line:

550cc injectors
Bigger fuel pump (Walbro?)
Lexus AFM
Aftermarket intercooler

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Easiest option is a rebuilt/upgraded CT26. Personally, I recommend the 57 trim option for the CT upgrade, but the 60-1 should be fine with reasonable care. This will be close enough to stock to be easy to assemble/diagnose issues with getting it running. If anything, your '91 ECU/harness is going to be be the troublemaker. I'd have kept the '88 ECU/harness, and swapped over the knock sensors, TPS and whatever else is different between those years myself.

For the BOV, I don't think that it makes a huge difference which you use myself, but do try to avoid the cheap knockoffs. (Those can be okay if you make sure to keep them away from higher heat locations, though that's not always possible.) I have an HKS SSQV over the intake side of the turbo, and it's been fine for me there. I doubt that a knockoff would have lasted this long.

Thefox

Mar 19, 2013
Syracuse, NY
So the 57 vs the 60 is the "trim" which is a different wheel, correct? So my 60-1 could be rebuilt using the 57 trim wheel?

My '88 roller did not come with the harness or ECU so I went with the '91 electrical because the only think I needed was the ECU (it is from a auto car). I didn't realize there are other differences between the years.

CtownDawgs88

Doin' the Best I Can.....
Mar 23, 2009
Northern Ohio
I have a CT26 Driftmotion 57 trim turbo for sale with 1200 miles on it (all Garret internals) and Earls Braided Oil Lines for sale for $550 + shipping, if interested. I got 365HP and 525 Ft lbs of TQ out of this.