What Next??? *UPDATE*

K. I've got an 87 supra with jdm swap with 13000 miles on it, je pistons .40 over, clevite bearings, shotpeend rods, stock head, 3 inch custom down pipe, ebay exhaust, MAF Translator PRO, stock turbo with 60-1 trim no clip, the back is GUTTED, custom chassis brace, front strut bar, bc racing coilovers, mkiv wheels(235/255), one piece drive shaft, stage 3 clutch, walboro fuel pump, aeromotive fpr, custom intake, i'm running 17 psi around 385rwhp. I want it at 450. I also want to get an engine dress up kit http://www.suprasport.com/Engine-Dress-Up-Package_p_699.html and a metal head gasket with arp studs. I also have 2 small oil leaks. Should I just save up until I have enough money to do all of that and then get it dyno'd? or should I just get it street tuned and then buy every thing? I want 450 bad :evil2: :aigo: advice?

Last edited:

SUPERIUM

Low Postage Member
Nov 29, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Crower cams and a good tune should get you to where you wanna be assuming you have fuel mods (550+ injectors and 255 pump). Also upgrade the cooling system and upgrade the intercooler and piping. Find/fix those oil leaks would be first on my list as well as inspecting everything else that everythings tight and nothings worn/aged.

So the guy I bought it from called me.
It seems I misunderstood him
it does have a mhg.
and arp studs.
AND I also sold my 2001 v6 mustang the same day.
I've been trying to sell it for a year...
ever since I got back from the army.
The wife says I have to save half. so
I've got $1500 to spend on it.
should I buy cam gears before I get the intercooler and dyno
or is it ok to do it after without to much trouble?

kracin

Sleeper
Apr 1, 2007
aiea hawaii
i wouldnt waste your money on that dress up kit... 425 for what? a couple of shiny metal plates, 1 that you should consider even getting (spark plug valley plate.. stock looks great with the black rubber on it). the intercooler top plate. and a 75 bucks worth of silicone hoses and 50 bucks worth of fake braided steel covers?

ill give you some advice on those braided steel stuff... i HAD them on mine, and they looked GREAT until you have to take something off to do maintenance, or get to something to make an adjustment... once you start moving things around, your gonna hate what the fake braided steel looks like.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

those are essentially the only hoses your gonna be able to do, besides the brake booster line. and maybe a few others if your gonna get anal with it and put them on absolutely everthing.

if i were you, i would get an intercooler to match the turbo (i had a 60-1 also, and ran pretty much the same number at 17 psi). and have fun at around 20 psi. if you attempt to get 450 out of that turbo, your gonna be straining the hell out of it. and it likely wont last as long as youd hoped.

kracin;1380333 said:
i wouldnt waste your money on that dress up kit... 425 for what? a couple of shiny metal plates, 1 that you should consider even getting (spark plug valley plate.. stock looks great with the black rubber on it). the intercooler top plate. and a 75 bucks worth of silicone hoses and 50 bucks worth of fake braided steel covers?

ill give you some advice on those braided steel stuff... i HAD them on mine, and they looked GREAT until you have to take something off to do maintenance, or get to something to make an adjustment... once you start moving things around, your gonna hate what the fake braided steel looks like.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

those are essentially the only hoses your gonna be able to do, besides the brake booster line. and maybe a few others if your gonna get anal with it and put them on absolutely everthing.

if i were you, i would get an intercooler to match the turbo (i had a 60-1 also, and ran pretty much the same number at 17 psi). and have fun at around 20 psi. if you attempt to get 450 out of that turbo, your gonna be straining the hell out of it. and it likely wont last as long as youd hoped.

I've taken everything you've said into consideration.
No dress up kit.
i don't know what I was thinking there.
I bought a front mount, and am fixing the oil leaks.
also, I found that my intake pipe for the turbo wasn't on the turbo all the way. SO
we are making a better one. i think the mishimoto rad is next.
I appreciate you replying.
Are the boss turbo's any good? t67 is what I'm thinking for the spring.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
yes they are good turbos. if you want steel braid just save or do one line at a time and get full ss lines.

I already have a few ss lines.
that can wait.
I want my engine bay cleaner.
but I can do that without a dress up kit.
people tell me for an 87 the engine bay is clean.
but I've only got the 4 sti's my cousins and friend have.
my wife's nismo 350z
and a mk4 with a new 2j tt swap to compare the bay to.
so to me, it's dirty.

Last edited: