what motor?

bighroder

big guy in a little car
Nov 15, 2007
Michigan
sorry these questions might be a little dumb but I realy dont know much about toyotas in general. just a couple questions about motors.

what motor did a mkIII supra TT have?

what is a 1.5JZ?

and would putting a metal head gasket fix the bhg problem that is notorius for the 7g?

thanks in advance. zeth

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
mkiii supra TT =1jz
1.5jz= 1jz block + 2jz head
and metal head gasket and arp studs help but isn't the cure all for a BHG

supradavenz

LOL HIES!
Apr 1, 2006
AUCKLAND, New Zealand
lawl, man theres alot of mixed up stuff right there...

mk3's came out with:
1jz-gte jza70 2.5L twin turbo running in parrallel
7m-ge ma70 3L non-turbo charged
7m-gte ma70 3L single turbo
1g-e ga70 2L non-turbo SOHC (i kid you not)
1g-ge ga70 2L non-turbo
1g-gte ga70 2L twin turbo running in parrallel

and a metal headgasket done right on a 7M would help prevent a BHG yes.

bighroder

big guy in a little car
Nov 15, 2007
Michigan
i dont plan on beating it to death, i just want a dd. All i can find is autos around here. another question, what did the 6 speed trannies come in? can I hook one to a 1jz? and how much $?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
cartel1_950 said:
mkiii supra TT =1jz
1.5jz= 1jz block + 2jz head
and metal head gasket and arp studs help but isn't the cure all for a BHG

1.5jz=1jz head + 2jz block

do a search on the rest, trust me its been covered.

bighroder

big guy in a little car
Nov 15, 2007
Michigan
sorry im tryin to half ass do my history homework for school right know to,but thanks for the help I will just search it later.thanks again

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
6spd tranny is 2jz and yeah turbo cars need premium gas. i ran 91 octane and the timing retarted a bit so i had to step it up to 92 octane and it seemed to help out

bighroder

big guy in a little car
Nov 15, 2007
Michigan
I just realy dont have time to look it up right now and I thought wiki was were anyone can just put on a thread. and its not always right.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
A properly prepped block and head(machine work) along with a MHG and ARP head studs can do wonders for the BHG reputation on the 7M. But in any motor, a headgasket can fail.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
bighroder said:
i dont plan on beating it to death, i just want a dd. All i can find is autos around here. another question, what did the 6 speed trannies come in? can I hook one to a 1jz? and how much $?
6 speed = V160

Came in MKIV Supra TTs

Yes it will bolt to a 1JZ, and 2JZ, but that's it. The bellhousing is actually part of the transmission, so you cannot swap on a different one. It's a little difficult to fit into the MKIII chassis. The transmission tunnel needs some slight hammering to get it to fit. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the shifter is not in the best spot, but it does work. There's a website somewhere on the internet where a guy documented how he put a V160 into a MKIII. Also, the V160 wants a 3.2 rear-end. Tallest you can find for a MKIII is a 3.73 (I heard rumors of an aussie 3.5 though, anyone have info on that?). so, yhe 6-speed gears will be really short in a MKIII.

There is also a 6-speed transmission for the 1G motor. I can't remember the tranny code, it's a J something I think. The transmission is out of a Toyota Altezza. Not sure how it would fit in a MKIII, but I bet it's clsoe.

Out of curiosity, what sort of class wants you researching Supras ;)

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
If you have time to post a thread and/or wait for answer, then you have time to search...