What mods first?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
i was just thinking about going straight pipe from dp back as this is a weekend car wont get driven alot, i was looking at the cx racing dp with elbow.

if i get that with stock turbo, the clutch got replace around 20k ago, with 550's and a lex afm should i get something to control fuel (AFPR)?

Your car, but IMO, straight pipe on a mostly stock 7M is ricey as hell and obnoxious without the performance to back any of it up. It's one thing to be straight piped on a monster of a motor. It's an entirely different story on a stock car. DM carries a cat back for like $300.

550's and the Lex AFM are a waste with the stock CT26, IMO. I'd much rather have a larger trim CT with the stock AFM and injectors. That's how my 90 was and it was a ton of fun. The Lex AFM and 550's will run ok, but you should really have some means to tune with that and the AFPR alone isn't enough for my taste.

If I was you in your situation, considering the car runs well, I'd throw that money into suspension components. Everything on these cars is worn out. Get a solid platform to build off of, most suspension components are decently priced and you'd be able to get quite a bit done for the 1k depending. Once thats squared away, hopefully you'd be able to get some more money saved up that you can then put into performance upgrades, and your chassis will be ready for it.

Just my thought process.

Completely agreed here, but I'm gathering OP has more flashy plans than subtle (but completely worthwhile) suspension maintenance. :/

boosted mk3 supra

Sep 16, 2010
CiTRUS HEiGHTz
If I was you in your situation, considering the car runs well, I'd throw that money into suspension components. Everything on these cars is worn out. Get a solid platform to build off of, most suspension components are decently priced and you'd be able to get quite a bit done for the 1k depending. Once thats squared away, hopefully you'd be able to get some more money saved up that you can then put into performance upgrades, and your chassis will be ready for it.

Just my thought process.
Yes. My suspension has all been rebuilt back to stock around 20k ago, I worked at Toyota and got good deal so went that route and wasn't too familiar with aftermarket items. Now I have a little bit more knowledge as I thought stock was the way to go but I want a little more power.

boosted mk3 supra

Sep 16, 2010
CiTRUS HEiGHTz
Your car, but IMO, straight pipe on a mostly stock 7M is ricey as hell and obnoxious without the performance to back any of it up. It's one thing to be straight piped on a monster of a motor. It's an entirely different story on a stock car. DM carries a cat back for like $300.

550's and the Lex AFM are a waste with the stock CT26, IMO. I'd much rather have a larger trim CT with the stock AFM and injectors. That's how my 90 was and it was a ton of fun. The Lex AFM and 550's will run ok, but you should really have some means to tune with that and the AFPR alone isn't enough for my taste.

Completely agreed here, but I'm gathering OP has more flashy plans than subtle (but completely worthwhile) suspension maintenance. :/
Thanks sounds great! I think I'll with the upgraded turbo once I feel the car is done and rebuilt fine. Then go after injectors then an ecu master det3.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
imho

1) Intake/Downpipe/Exhaust
2) Boost controller
that will give you ~300hp, just up the boost until you hit fuel cut, then back it off slightly

then
3) Intercooler and hardpipes - increased effeciency, more power per psi of boost
4) fuel/timing control - det3 currently looks like one of the best options without going full standalone
5) injectors
6) turbo

Keep in mind, the stock stuff with a good tune can get you a lot of power. I've got stock injectors and turbo, running a full exhaust, ic, hardpipes, forward facing intake manifold, and with an aem V1 and a tune I'm not terribly happy with I made 320hp at the wheels, and a ton of torque.

leave the clutch until it no longer works. For me, that was almost right away when I did mods, but if your clutch is in good shape yours might last longer.