What is this black box? I think it's the alarm system.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
What I can do tonight is remove the panels to give you guys a clear view of what I am dealing with, so if anyone can be watching this thread around or before 10pm central time I will be posting pictures of the area because after finding Toyo4life's thread on installing a Clifford alarm I saw some very familiar connections and wire plugs but not sure if they were from the factory wires or the Clifford wires.

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
Dirgle;1945203 said:
Actually if you look off to the right side you will see that the dealer did install the Theft Deterrent System Upgrade.

From CJsupra's site: http://cjsupra.kendra.com/89supra.html

Toyota Theft Deterrent System Enhancement (TDSE)

Part Number:
08585-00861
(Base Kit)

00398-14910
(Installation Kit

Description:
Toyota annouced the release of the TDSE security system enhancement in July, 1991. The system adds the following features to the Factory Theft Deterrent System (TVSS):

* Two Remote Transmitters
* Glass Breakage Sensor
* Horn Defeat
* Car Finder
* Remote Arming
* Remote Door Locking

That is a good question, you would have to trace the wires back to where they come from. Find out what it's spliced into. Maybe a previous owner wanted a more upgraded alarm, and installed an aftermarket unit.

Wow that's really cool! Sorry I was looking on my phone so the text was pretty small.

Good luck going to the dealer.... Those clowns don't know shit about older supras... Last time I went to one in San Diego and when I got it back three/four of my vaccum lines had been PLUGGED with bolts. When I questioned them on this they stated that the lines weren't on the drawings and had no idea where they went... So I said then why didn't you put them where back where you pulled them off? The sad thing is all the lines where factory lines.....

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
hahaha yea I am trying to avoid going to the dealer at all costs because I am sure 99% of the people who would actually be working on the car were barely born or crapping their diapers when it came out, then again so was I lol.

I found this and perhaps I am confusing myself with TDSE and TVSS but it seems to be the same alarm I also read last night that the MKIVs have the same alarm that we have.
https://plus.google.com/photos/1176...0023972625?banner=pwa&authkey=CIvayqroyMuh7AE
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...program-keyless-entry-remote-please-help.html

Last edited:

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Well I just disconnected the box and it did nothing the car locks normally, turns on normal, nothing seems to be affected by that rectangular box.

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
Doat;1945090 said:
Well first I removed 2 of the silver circle relays, one to the left and one under the flasher relay, so I can have better access and I removed the large piece of trim that the kick panel clips into, you have to remove the piece of trim on the bottom of the door frame where you would step to get into the car. I just kept prying it with the flat head and bent the pin on the relay itself then I found out that there is actually a little adapter that goes into the actual fuse part, so you can rip that relay right out and just remove the adapter piece and slide in the new relay. The adapter piece really confused me because after I ripped out the old relay the adapter just came out effortlessly, it seems that the weird connector on the relay also holds it in place.
Here is a picture of my old relay and adapter to help give you an idea.
There are little clips on the left and right side of the relay from our angle laying on the floor of the car, the clip on the right side you will have go by feeling it to bend it out enough then once you get both clips off you can just rip it out if you can or just wiggle it side to side bending the relay's pins until it pops off. I don't think bending the relay itself would damage the fuse box much but it was the only way I could get it out and I was drenched in sweat, stupid Houston summer heat at midnight, and I was very agitated at this point.
Excuse the dirty keyboard lol
9013933308_d0fd76ae4e_b.jpg

9012750491_2e146f4066_b.jpg

9013937512_1200c68aba_b.jpg

Thanks for replying.. but why did you replace the flasher? What problems where you having? On my supra sometimes the turn signals don't blink and just stay on.. Any advice?

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
No problem it's my pleasure to give back to this great forum. I had to replace the flasher with one compatible with LEDs because I am replacing my rear tail light and turn signal bulbs, along with interior lights, with LEDs and since LEDs use a lower amp I believe or something like that it tricks the lamp failure module into thinking the bulb is out so that triggers the system to quickly flash the turn signal. I fixed that by replacing that flasher relay but I still have the annoying lamp failure dash light and I am planning to fix that by removing the module it seems easy to do. You do have a strange issue but it sounds like the flasher relay replacement would solve that since I assume the flasher relay is what makes the signals flash lol.

Jarvis

May 14, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
I have the exact same black box in my '91 Turbo. Never got an answer on what exactly it is. I was also told it was probably some sort of alarm system...

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
If it is an alarm system then it's not a very good one because it's been disconnected for a couple of days and nothing has been different.