what is inside stock resonator? hollow? mine us buzzing badly

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
EDIT:
I got the back section off a lot easier than anticipated, I'm going to cut the top off of the resonator and look for myself, clean it up, and weld it shut. It's rusted through in a small spot, so I have to patch it anyway. It says made in the USA too...sadly. Do foreign parts hold up better? I'm guessing they're all about the same if it's OEM quality. Also sine it's not a toyota part it was replaced, so that suggests all standard level parts just corrode over time..

I have a horrid exhaust buzz or rattle under power until about 3k rpm and I need to fix it without new parts if I can. I was hoping it's just the rusty joint between it and the pipes but I don't know if it could be a loose baffle inside...

Is the resonator hollow? If so I think I just need basic tips on welding the sucker back onto the pipes hopefully. I only have ramps and jack stands and a few hours so I dunno if I have time but I'd like to try. I've already removed my muffler and replaced that with a straight pipe and it isn't too loud but now the resonator is having issues. :(

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You do realize that exhaust is not what came with the car. Previous owners changed it when it rusted and burned through. Just like you are going to do instead of wasting time cutting open then mig it shut.

Shane

Turbo? No thanks!
May 19, 2013
Oregon
Straight pipe, side-dump in front of the passenger rear wheel. Pipe is cheap, obviously you can weld. $15 maybe? Snag a glasspack $20-30, $45 max? Making your neighbors hate you? Priceless.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Shane;1946990 said:
Straight pipe, side-dump in front of the passenger rear wheel. Pipe is cheap, obviously you can weld. $15 maybe? Snag a glasspack $20-30, $45 max? Making your neighbors hate you? Priceless.

-_-

Shane

Turbo? No thanks!
May 19, 2013
Oregon
Backlash2032;1947098 said:

Haha, not a fan? He could always go to a junkyard and scav a resonator off of any car and weld that puppy on, will be quiet as a mouse!