What is best exhaust system

Oct 1, 2007
Chicago, Il
so right now i have a 3.5 inch downpipe, 3 inch test pipe and everything else is 2.5 inch and stock muffler all from previuos owner, so i was wondering what kind of exhaust system should i get all the way down, 3.0, 3.5 or wat cause right now im lookin at a 3.0 system all the way down and a 4 inch mufller so what would be best and wat would give off a good sound and good power i have a 1987 supra turbo 5 speed

Last edited:

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
There are a LOT of 3 inch exhausts available. It all depends on how loud you want it to be. There's the RSR, the HKS, the Tanabe, etc....

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
red_armie_soviet said:
well i want a really really loud one cause i love that noise

RSR GT2 exhaust. 3 inch straight thru, but it's discontinued, but 935 motorsports is selling them for cheap. Contact him if you want.

Skam9685

1992 Honda Prelude SI
Jun 22, 2007
Oldsmar, Florida, United States
This is something that I have been looking into to put on my list. Tanabe super hyper medallion seems as though it is the lowest sounding and that's prolly what I am going to go with. The cops in Tampa suck.

There is a thread that shows the difference in sound levels between a few of them. Let me see if I can find it.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
you would be surprised how fast a really loud exhaust can get old. i used to have a full 4" straight exhaust, my 1J sounded like a Cummins turbo diesel, and it annoyed me to no end. as for the exhausts that were mentioned, the RSR is probably gonna be the loudest one of those

TurboToy-R

Apr 30, 2007
Duncan BC
I have the 3.5" BIC Thunder exhaust and it sounds awesome and runs even better (on a stock 1jz it raised my boost level to 13 psi from 10 and even quicker spool up)

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
I've got 3 1/2" all the way back from the exhaust manifold, no resonator, no cat (well I have one, it's in a box in the garage), and a Tanabe muffler (sourced from another car of mine) and it's too fuckin" loud.

I get pulled over for noise on a routine basis, no tickets as of yet. But I'm sick of it. It was cool at first, but between the noise (low rpm droan being the worst part) and the cops, I've gotta find something quieter.

willfish

been here since 2003
Apr 23, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
suprabad said:
I've got 3 1/2" all the way back from the exhaust manifold, no resonator, no cat (well I have one, it's in a box in the garage), and a Tanabe muffler (sourced from another car of mine) and it's too fuckin" loud.

I get pulled over for noise on a routine basis, no tickets as of yet. But I'm sick of it. It was cool at first, but between the noise (low rpm droan being the worst part) and the cops, I've gotta find something quieter.

how old are you,?

it might explain why u get pulled over so much .....

Will

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Yeah sometimes loud isnt always as its cracked up to be. Really you might just want to find a tone you like rather than trying to get the loudest. On my car the previous owner said it was a custom made exhaust when I bought it (turns out to be a custom made by him in his garage with a welding torch), but it has no cat and no muffler its just straight through, and man that thing is just annoying. Basically most of the time when I'm just driving I try and stay out of boost like on the highway and thats the worst time. Its just like this really deep bass noise that comes into the cab and is really bad, you cant hear most of what people say unless thier voice is like...really high pitched. So long story short I'm probably going to replace mine sometime in the future before I go insane.

TuRbOdReAmZ87

Supramania Regular
Feb 2, 2007
Southern mass
www.cardomain.com
Yeah my buddy has a custom 3" turbo back with a meagan muffler, :love: and its so loud in the cab at low rpms. I mean i absolutly love the sound, its soo low pitch but it gets to a point where its just too much inside, where you have trouble hearing people talk. Thats the only thing that would make me think twice about buying it off him. :cry: