what hp levels do the stock pistons and rods support?

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
i just finished my full rebuild on my 7m.and wanted to throw on a masterpower t04....(.)

i have a 2mm mhg arp headstuds arp rod bolts new piston rings and clevite 77 bearings for everything. the motor has about 150,000 miles on it.

at what point will my pistons crack or melt?

i know of 3 2jz's around 500 that have blown pistons in the last month so im a little worried.one super charged,one that melted all 6 pistons and one that melted #1 and #6.

if your pushing 4+ hundred hp on stock pistons and rods tell me how your engine is holding up

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
If someone has melted all 6 pistons they need a new fucking tuner, period. Stay as far away as you can from that person, maybe even go as far as getting a restraining order. :3d_frown:

Brad (aka tekdeus) made 515 on stock internals with a meth kit. He has a MHG and studs, that is it, AND, he has many miles on the engine.

Sean (as posted above) made over 700. (really good tuning)

Bottom line is, if you play it safe, add a meth kit, make sure timing etc is not too high etc... I think 500 is fine. Brad drives the shit out of his car and has last a long time. If it holds up to his driving, I think it's good. ;)

Rods: They have held over 665, 700 plus no problem. They are similar to the 2J rod, but longer.

Duane