What goes into a 1jz swap

Lienhop Photo

Aug 3, 2009
Wilmington NC
Well I am sort of new to this but not so new to the automotive scene. I have been stressing a lot latly going back and forth on what to do about a project.

I really want to know what goes into buying a shell/blown motor car and doing a swap.

My girlfriend currently has an 88 MK3 supra.

Stock 7m non turbo and auto.
Body is pretty good shape as of now. Good paint, and only small minor wear and tear inside and out.

Well she owes about 1500 right now on it and I was going to take over payments at 1000. the car has 24x,xxx miles on it as it is now. I wanted to purchase the car and have it as a little project and put extra money into it. So basically I am asking this.

Should I try and search for a turbo 7m and fix it to driving condition and put my money into that. Or should I do a 1jz swap.

What my real quetion is, is how much and what accually goes into a 1jz swap. Mind you that this is into an AUTOMATIC, and the 1jz is 5 speed. My bother and I could do the swap if it isnt too much trouble. So i really want a small or major list of what I would need. I am looking for comments not flames! I found that tiger japan is the cheapest and probely the place I would get it from.
This will be a weekend driver and maybe a track car. Possibilly autoX

As far as motor work. I have a budget of $5,000.

Is this posibble??

THanks Lienhop

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Honestly, you should do a lot of search on both swaps, but the 1jz is pretty expensive. You can buy a 7mgte for far less and with proper maintenance it is a great motor. Good luck.

There are plenty of threads in here about people doing 1jz swaps that you will find very informative. Thanks and good luck.

Lienhop Photo

Aug 3, 2009
Wilmington NC
Yea i have looked into some and its hard to make a decision, I klnow the 7m has potential but if I found a shell or blown motor, would it be worth swaping a new 7m motor or just using a 1jz

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Use the 7m unless you have an assload of money sitting around. You can do thd jz swap for five grand, but you can also build one hell of a 7m for a lot less and have money left over for a few extras. I have a jz motor, but I also love me some 7ms.

Lienhop Photo

Aug 3, 2009
Wilmington NC
well I looked on tiger japan and 7mgte's are like 900, and then i need a trans. So u think i should find a BHG or knocked rod 7mgte motor and rebuild it instead?

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
dude i am doing a 1jz swap and i have a decent back ground in cars have done multiple swaps if your new to this i wouldnt go 1jz. unless your gonna pay some one to do it. i havent had to do the 5 speed swap but that looks like alot of work as well if you where gonna go 1jz i would swap an aristo 1jz intoit. they have the auto but your still gonna run into some wire issues. if you have any questions feel free to message me i have a ton of pictures on the swap and i have done this swap by myself.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
You don't even have the car yet, so take your time and find something in the classifieds here or locally. Sometimes you can buy whole cars for five hundred dollars. I've got one in my yard right now that I paid five hundred dollars for with a 7mgte and a r154. All you've got to do is be patient and look around.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
new to swaps or not don't pay someone to do it.

I've never done a swap. I did mine everything came out perfect. Motor just knocked tho (1jz). Now on my 2nd swap 1.5JZ its not nhard at all just time consuming if things don't line up properly or you have to find parts at the last minute.

I say take your time read read read. Then proceed with what your bank can handle. MY simple 1jz swap ended up near 8/9K cuz i decided to upgrade and replace little things while i was there im well over 15 now with the 2jz block and other goodies turbo etc and maintenance

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
my 1jz swap was done for less than 5k INCLUDING cost of car(2500).

if you do all the work youreself it can come out pretty cheap, just shop round for good deals,

Tajabaho1

Aug 1, 2009
Socal
7mgte = very good motor, a bit heavy on maintainance compared to 1jz, but nothing compared to rotaries, cheap, relatively reliable, mods are wtf cheap, makes tons of torque, cannot rev worth a shit (compared to anything other than diesel), great drag motor (prepare to spend shit tons to make it a great drag motor)

1jz = very very good motor, lighter on maintainace compared to 7mgte, more expensive, very reliable, mods are very expensive, makes less torque, more rev happy, great street/ drift motor

2jz= very very good motor, maintainance same as 1jz, hella expensive, very reliable, mods are relatively expensive, but easy to find, makes wtf torque, medium rev happiness, great street/drag engine

did I miss anything guys?

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Tajabaho1;1457378 said:
7mgte = very good motor, a bit heavy on maintainance compared to 1jz, but nothing compared to rotaries, cheap, relatively reliable, mods are wtf cheap, makes tons of torque, cannot rev worth a shit (compared to anything other than diesel), great drag motor (prepare to spend shit tons to make it a great drag motor)

1jz = very very good motor, lighter on maintainace compared to 7mgte, more expensive, very reliable, mods are very expensive, makes less torque, more rev happy, great street/ drift motor

2jz= very very good motor, maintainance same as 1jz, hella expensive, very reliable, mods are relatively expensive, but easy to find, makes wtf torque, medium rev happiness, great street/drag engine

did I miss anything guys?

7mgte requires no wiring, just the right year harness.