What does the stock hood weigh, and what's the lightest hood available?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
destrux;1800646 said:
Yeah, I saw theirs, I just wasn't able to find a weight. They seem to make form>function stuff so I was concerned it was a 30 pound pile of chopper gun fiberglass with a carbon skin on the top.

I was hoping to find someone who had one and weighed it (the carbon creations hood I mean).

I am replacing it for cosmetics, but I do care about the weight just as much, I want to save as much as I can for the money. I already did everything else I can, other than a racing battery (which will happen when I find one that can survive repeated short trip driving).

Vis makes one too, but I think it's like ~$800. Carbon Creations is cheap. What I would like to know is if any of these carbon hoods use the stock latch. Hood pins are gay on anything short of a race car.

Nick M;1800768 said:
The JZA80 has an aluminum hood and roof. I would go with a fiberglass hood over CF. The whole weave thing just looks incredibly gay and does not fit the upscale style of the Supra.

Which is exactly why Carbon Fiber should be painted. :) Not to mention, it makes it less likely to be stolen, less likely to fade and more likely to look super clean.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
destrux;1800646 said:
I am replacing it for cosmetics, but I do care about the weight just as much, I want to save as much as I can for the money. I already did everything else I can, other than a racing battery (which will happen when I find one that can survive repeated short trip driving).
Relocating even the stock battery should help a good bit with getting weight off the front. Plus, lithium based batteries are WAY expensive for that sort of duty, at least for now.

Nick M;1800768 said:
The JZA80 has an aluminum hood and roof. I would go with a fiberglass hood over CF. The whole weave thing just looks incredibly gay and does not fit the upscale style of the Supra.
Man, are you going to hate my car. :p

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I was thinking AGM lead acid racing battery, like a Braille. They are about $160. I will be moving it to the trunk once I get one.

They all have built in factory style latches, but they all tell you to use hood pins anyway because the hood will flex up at the corners. Aerocatch pins are nice though, you barely notice them and they automatically latch so you never forget to pin them and end up with a hood in your windshield (which is fucking scary doing 60mph at night, let me tell you). Those old style hood pins were terrible, the damn things would always squeak no matter what you did with them.

Nick, I think the rustoleum paint job already killed the upscale look. If I ever got it painted nice I would get the hood painted too though.

I'm also thinking about what all this weight removal/redistribution is going to do to my ride height. Shit. Maybe I should get coilovers first so I don't have a car that looks like it's always launching.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
destrux;1801050 said:
I'm also thinking about what all this weight removal/redistribution is going to do to my ride height. Shit. Maybe I should get coilovers first so I don't have a car that looks like it's always launching.
Sounds familiar... Between all the weight reduction and redistribution going on with my ideas, I am verrrrry glad to have coilovers. Going to make this thing as low as is realistic for the conditions around here. I'll have to remember how to be selective about where I drive I think.