What do I do? Salvaged car in CA?? Insurance company never sent paperwork...

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
As some may have read, my car was 'totaled' by a dent to the hatch and rear light section, leaving it driveable but according to the insurance agent, a salvaged vehicle. I have a problem (sort of) though, nobody sent me paperwork to do or a notice to get the car inspected (lights, etc...)

That accident was at the end of October, and I don't remember if I was told that I would receive paperwork about the title status change; all I've received thus far is a check for the settlement though. I still have a new plate tag I purchased before the accident that I haven't put on yet, thinking I'd return it if I non-opped the car. That's it, nothing else has changed, and I'm still driving it as before.

Am I supposed to get a letter from the DMV, or the insurance company, or both? So far, it feels like they forgot me, but I don't want to get pulled over and given a ticket for false registration, or start piling up back fees with the DMV... has anyone in California dealt with a salvage process where you kept the car? I believe the insurance company for the party at fault just deducted $300 from my settlement and paid me, I never signed to "buy" my car or anything.

An appraiser came out, took images, I got a call, elected to keep my Supra, then got a check. That's it... I don't know what the DMV knows or even if the insurance company held up the "salvage title" bit.

On a side note, why can't I see any threads in off topic besides stickies? is SM dead?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
My Mazda Protégé was totaled out by the insurance company. I opted to buy it back. They gave me a check minus the buy back value. Nobody else gave me any other documentation on the title status of this car. I've been registering it like this for the last 5 years. I really don't know if it's a salvage titled vehicle or not. I have the original title to this day.

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
ask your insurance or have a new agency look it up. you might even find the answer you're looking for on the DMV website with a VIN #

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Old thread, but here's my understanding of this:

If your car is wrecked and YOU buy it back from the insurance company, it won't go to salvage title.

If your car is wrecked and insurance sells it at auction, they attach a form to the title (in NY it's designated a 907A car) and then you have to go through a salvage examination through the NYS DMV. They aren't looking for safety measures, just looking for stolen parts. Once it passes the salvage examination (any stolen parts are removed by DMV), they'll send you a branded SALVAGE title.

Once again, that's for NY, and they're a real PITA here to get going with all that. Some people have to wait MONTHS for a salvage examination.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
multi-quote is giving me issues so I'll just post a reply to you all.

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay. I had a close family memeber pass on new years and it's been hell dealing with that, and all that has to be taken care of afterward.

atmperformance - I'll perhaps call my insurance and ask later on. Good idea

speedy - I never relinquished or received anything in regards to the title, still have it somewhere.

shaeff - well CA is crazy for emissions and I wouldn't trust that they have the same laws as NY, but that's good to hear all the same, thanks.

suprapowaz! - awesome, thanks for the info. What state? I'll check your user avatar if it's there.

Last edited: