What did you pay for paint work?

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
I paid 3500 PPG Indianapolis Metallic Red off the M5 excluding the body kit and diffuser.

Doors, bumpers, hatch all came off and jams painted, i didnt do the engine bay not sure why i didn't at the time but none the less its ok

All the dings and dents i had were pulled, color match mouldings, pulled window trim, minimal quarter rust was cut and welded, spare tire well cut and fixed from rust. I had tons of dents then 2 months after body work i get a new dent in the driver door by the handle >=|.

overall quality of the paint i give it a 7 out of 10, metal work was good 8 out of 10, i should of did alot more home work before pulling the trigger, the car does look way better then it use too though.

Boosted MK3

Jul 6, 2013
Forest Hill, MD
Bought my car red, painted it white total cost right around $750 did the disassembling, sanding, and primer myself. Then dropped it off to actually get sprayed. Pretty happy for what I spent.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
pretty sure I paid $3000 for a complete colour change on my 240sx to bamboo pearl 6T1

but I disassembled and reassembled everything, 14 pieces painted of the chassis, glass out
finding a shop that will allow this^ is few and far between, he said he'd never let a customer do it, and didn't believe it once assembled 2 days later...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Wow, this is a great thread. I have paint plans in my future and I was expecting closer to 10k for a full restoration even if I did nearly all prep work. It's great to hear so many peeps are getting so much paint work done for so much under that figure.

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
suprarx7nut;1982606 said:
Wow, this is a great thread. I have paint plans in my future and I was expecting closer to 10k for a full restoration even if I did nearly all prep work. It's great to hear so many peeps are getting so much paint work done for so much under that figure.

Yeah, I think you would south of the 10k mark. That said, without cashing in favors or anything the cost is in the 3500-4k range.

t87supra

Nov 21, 2006
Western MA
I stripped most of the car down myself (couple trim pieces left). This included all of interior and engine bay (which was painted). My paint, including primer and other supplies was over $1100 (more than $900 for the paint alone which is Lexus Starfire Pearl. Other white pearls are closer to $450 I guess). I had a couple a big dent on the A-pillar, and lots of door dings as the previous owner was a college kid. A professional painted it in his spare time at home to cut out overhead, though he had to rent the paint booth from his employer.

Total cost including paint was $5,250. The quotes I got from shops to do this work was $5200-$10,000. This guy's original quote was $3500, so I'm real glad I didn't take it to a shop.