What coolant does 1987 7M-GE Auto use?

toyota.s

Nov 2, 2022
I'm rebuilding my 7M-GE Auto engine and not sure what coolant to use. I'm going to install a new stock radiator (if I can find one) or new aluminum. Along with silicone coolant hoses for longevity, OEM clutch fan and if need be a transmission cooler if I go aluminum. I've heard so many answers like use Toyota pink coolant super long life, Toyota Red 50/50 mix, and Green coolant 50/50 mix. My Supra will be driven frequently once it's all said and done, street use only (mainly highway) and I also live in California. If the machine shop doesn't take too much off the block resurface, I may end up using new OEM head gasket. Any idea what coolant to put in?

Last edited:

ct26fan

Sep 30, 2009
phoenix
I'm rebuilding my 7M-GE Auto engine and not sure what coolant to use. I'm going to install a new stock radiator (if I can find one) or new aluminum. Along with silicone coolant hoses for longevity, OEM clutch fan and if need be a transmission cooler if I go aluminum. I've heard so many answers like use Toyota pink coolant super long life, Toyota Red 50/50 mix, and Green coolant 50/50 mix. My Supra will be driven frequently once it's all said and done, street use only (mainly highway) and I also live in California. If the machine shop doesn't take too much off the block resurface, I may end up using new OEM head gasket. Any idea what coolant to put in?
You don't want an aluminum radiator on a stock vehicle. It will run too cold and you won't get good heat out of your heater. Aluminum radiators are for modded vehicles that require additional cooling. The factory radiator is more than sufficient for stock vehicles, Toyota is notorious for overdoing it on their cooling systems. If you have the old radiator you can take it to a radiator repair shop and have them flush it and rod it out. If there are any leaks they can braze those also. The radiator will be good as new and at a fraction of the price.

Reactions: toyota.s

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
Gee, the Mishimoto aluminum radiator I have in my GE works just fine. It does not overcool because my thermostat does its job properly.

The best coolant for our Supras is Toyota Red. Read the label for mixing ratios, but for most people use 50/50 with distilled water.

Reactions: alcyon and toyota.s

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
It will run too cold and you won't get good heat out of your heater.
Only if he doesn't use the correct working thermostat which maintains minimum temperatures. The OEM radiator by NipponDenso is no longer made in Japan. It is now made in China, and aluminum. All else is the same.

alcyon

Jun 15, 2017
Kuala Lumpur
In my experience with my previous car, aluminium radiators do not overcool. That being said, the stock radiator does its job well. I live in the tropics and the weather is always hot here. I have been stuck in traffic for long bouts of time, with the engine in idle (600 - 800rpm) with a slow spinning clutch fan, yet the coolant temp never went up from halfway. The stock system is indeed well designed.

Reactions: toyota.s

trofimovich

Jun 29, 2012
Russia
The temperature sensor on the instrument panel is very slow and will only show a high boiling point when the engine is very hot. I have an additional greddy temperature sensor installed. This is very revealing.
The sensor itself is installed at the outlet of the 6th cylinder. When the sensor shows a cold engine on the panel, the greddy sensor already shows 60 Celsius.

Attachments

• Снимокиыцктуетват.JPG
    Снимокиыцктуетват.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 0

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
That will happen when the thermostat has not yet opened.
No flow through thermostat = no temp registering on stock gauge mounted in thermostat housing

Same reason you can get heat inside the cabin on cold days AND still have a radiator cold out front.
Coolant is still circulating no matter what.

Buy an OEM Toyota thermostat with the proper temp rating for reliable operation.
Aftermarket thermostats are notorious for being total shit.

Reactions: figgie and alcyon

alcyon

Jun 15, 2017
Kuala Lumpur
That will happen when the thermostat has not yet opened.
No flow through thermostat = no temp registering on stock gauge mounted in thermostat housing

Same reason you can get heat inside the cabin on cold days AND still have a radiator cold out front.
Coolant is still circulating no matter what.

Buy an OEM Toyota thermostat with the proper temp rating for reliable operation.
Aftermarket thermostats are notorious for being total shit.
Indeed, I bought a beck arnley 75 Celcius and it was wildly inconsistent.

Last edited:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
You don't want an aluminum radiator on a stock vehicle. It will run too cold and you won't get good heat out of your heater. Aluminum radiators are for modded vehicles that require additional cooling. The factory radiator is more than sufficient for stock vehicles, Toyota is notorious for overdoing it on their cooling systems. If you have the old radiator you can take it to a radiator repair shop and have them flush it and rod it out. If there are any leaks they can braze those also. The radiator will be good as new and at a fraction of the price.

Say what?

The radiator cannot overcool regardless of material choise. That is what the thermostat is there to prevent.

Reactions: Jeff Lange

Bru

Feb 28, 2013
Tampa Bay Area
I'm in the old-school green concentrate antifreeze camp. I have an aftermarket CFS copper brass radiator. Napa makes a green concentrate that's made for cars before 1995. I mix it 50-50 with Walmart distilled water. 1 gallon of concentrate mixed with 1 gallon of distilled water will do the job. It has to be to changed more often than the red though. The initial pH is around 10 and when it gets anywhere near 7 it's time to change it, or 3 to 4 years. I got a digital wet bulb pH meter to keep an eye on it for under $10 on eBay . I keep a log book of all repairs and record the initial and follow-up pH values. The upper radiator hose I'm using is for a MK4 cut down to fit. It was cheaper and easier to find on eBay.

Shroud 1.JPG