What clutches for the W58 don't squeal?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Other than the OEM clutch disc, what clutch disc don't squeal on engagement?

I've got a 6 puck metallic disc (copper/ceramic) right now, and I'm getting tired of the squeal.

It seems to be worse in the supra than in either of my old FWD cars, probably because of the extra weight of this car needing the clutch to slip more from a stop. On my previous cars it was so little that I didn't mind it, but on this car it turns heads (not in a good way).

Swapping in an OEM disc makes it go away, but it can't handle any abuse, one launch and it's smoking.

So what discs don't squeal but can handle abuse?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Squeal? Is your clutch metal-on-metal at this point? I have a 6-puck from Driftmotion, no squealing here, at least nothing especially noticeable. It does get awfully grabby if you slip it too long (heat glazed?), and makes a bit of noise for a couple days or a few miles of normal driving, but nothing crazy.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
It's glazed. Most of my daily drive is from stop sign to stop sign. I guess there's probably no way around it unless I move.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
destrux;1865788 said:
It's glazed. Most of my daily drive is from stop sign to stop sign. I guess there's probably no way around it unless I move.
Drive like an asshole away from each stop sign, and explain to the friendly constable that your clutch doesn't work if you drive like a normal person?

Seriously though, you have my sympathy sir. My car gets touchy if I'm driving through neighborhoods too much too. Clutch tends to get awfully quick to grab once it gets hot like that.

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I had an exedy 3-puck ceramic race clutch in my civic. It would only make noise on engagement when it was cold. Once warmed up it was silent.