What are some BPU mods for the 1JZ?

Deeznuts

Apr 24, 2005
VA
Hey guy Im looking for some basic mods for my 1JZ. Right now Im thinking of the Apexi Safc I have never tuned one though. How hard is it and what do I need (ex. Wide band O2)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
They're alright for like one of your first mods, but you will eventually get rid of it for a better tuning device probably. I used one for about two years before I went with a full standalone. A wideband will be a good thing to have although I never had one with my safcII. I always had mine tuned at the dyno and he had a wideband we would hook up while tuning. Do you have upgraded injectors? You won't need a tuning device for stock injectors. Good luck.

Deeznuts

Apr 24, 2005
VA
I have 3" mandrel bent Exhasut a res and a reflection type muffler (OEM) 2.5 IC and hard pipe. Boost is stock. injectors are stock. If i dont need to tune then i wont im not planning on putting bigger injectors in. Its just i had a MKII 7m-gte same btu's and it felt a tad bit faster ofcourse those are lighter.
I thought if i adjusted the a/f mixture (possible better combustion???) i may be able to get alil more power but i was just guessing. the Speed sensor is wired up should i disconnect that? Any ideas for the stock motor I dont mind turning the boost up to 11 or 12 think im at 9 or 10 now. I was thinking about pulling the back seats but if i do that I need to put down some carpet I dont like that ricer/civic full metal interior look.

Hey thanks for your feedback guy If i dont do anymore mods that fine I love my MKIII and being a supra owner

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
When I had my stock 1jz, I switched to a single turbo and I ran 17psi and it felt awesome. It did have bigger injectors, cams, cam gears, and a few others, so it wasn't completely stock.........:biglaugh:

It made 443rwhp on pump gas and it felt pretty strong........you know, for a torquless wonder.

Deeznuts

Apr 24, 2005
VA
Deeznuts;1189993 said:
I have the WALBRO but not the AFPR kit. what is that ?
fuel upgrades would be good for a stock motor? I was thinkin they were naturely all rich and the afc would help lean it out alil?

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Deeznuts;1189993 said:
I have the WALBRO but not the AFPR kit. what is that ?

http://store.driftmotion.com/Static/Itemafprkit1jz.php

It allows you to adjust the base fuel pressure, and gives more accurate fuel pressure regulation then stock. We've seen a difference in power by increasing the base fuel pressure from 38psi to 40-45psi on cars running more then stock boost. That also allows you to lean it out with your afc, giving you the capability to run more boost without hitting fuel cut.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Basic BPU: Intake, Exhaust and Downpipe.
Mild BPU: Intake, Exhaust, Downpipe, 440s, SAFC (tuned).
Wild BPU: Intake, Exhaust, Downpipe, 440s, SAFC (tuned), 2jz cams and blown turbos:rofl:

C

Chaz

If your running on the stock twins, getting the big "y" pipe helps a lot. I got faster spool and much better flow. If you run those puppies over 15 psi, you'll need to get a 2JZ map sensor (and an extra set of turbos). With the y pipe, 440 injectors, safc, bigger innercooler and some other stuff, I got 369 RWHP on the dyno. Thats not very impressive to most of the guys in this forum, but getting 369 HP at under 3800 RPMs is !!
I went single and kinda wish I hadn't, but its done. I really miss that low end power. I've got a pile of twin stuff I'm going to Ebay off in the future

Deeznuts

Apr 24, 2005
VA
Chaz;1190420 said:
If your running on the stock twins, getting the big "y" pipe helps a lot. I got faster spool and much better flow. If you run those puppies over 15 psi, you'll need to get a 2JZ map sensor (and an extra set of turbos). With the y pipe, 440 injectors, safc, bigger innercooler and some other stuff, I got 369 RWHP on the dyno. Thats not very impressive to most of the guys in this forum, but getting 369 HP at under 3800 RPMs is !!
I went single and kinda wish I hadn't, but its done. I really miss that low end power. I've got a pile of twin stuff I'm going to Ebay off in the future

are u 1JZ or 2JZ. I welded a silencer into my muffler (3in manny bent 3in res 2.5 reflection type muffler has that OEM look) cuz it so flippin loud but i just cut it out and it has more power. wats the stock injector size for the 1JZ. I thought it was 440. I have a 2.5in IC and piping. I am boosting stock though Im alil afraid to turn the boost up. I dont wanna wear out the Stock twins

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
370 is the stock injector, 440 will allow for up to 400whp, almost anything you can toss at them using stock twins.

C

Chaz

I've got the 1JZ. Stock twins are tougher than you think. If your running 9-10 psi, you could turn it up to 14 or 15 and be OK. Course, if there already 'bout worn out, that may do'em in. They'll smoke first, sometimes a little, sometimes alot and at almost random times, but usually at an idle after a hard pull. Once they start smoking, they'll go a good bit furthur, but I don't know how long. But the back turbo goes first. I replaced mine before that happened. Check Ebay, you'll find used ones cheap or better yet, watch this site as you will probably find more honest sellers here that there. Get you a spare set and boost the crap out of it. But keep in mind, there a b____ to change (labor wise)

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
I would go for the simple bolt ons.
Good light wheels adds to bling factor as well
Light weight 1 piece DS
undedrive pullys
3" exhaust with test pipe
4.30 LSD diff if you dont take your supra on the freeway more then 90% of the time and dont daily your car for something other then delivery job.

After this upgrade fuel like injectors AFR fuel pump add some managment
boost controller wideband single turbo cams multiplate clutch then you could push up to 800hp if your not happy with 800hp maybe you need a 2jz?

Deeznuts

Apr 24, 2005
VA
Nah i dont need 800HP its a DD. Thanks guy for all the ideas. More than likley Ill end up get a single from DM once the twins die then i guess Ill go from there. I dont have any tuneing experience so im proly not gonna go for big power. Again thanks for all your feedback I like everysingle idea.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Chaz;1190420 said:

What low end power? If you want low end power go 2j