What am i missing? leaking coolant:(

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
I dont know if i am totally overlooking something obvious here.

i noticed my coolant was slowly leaking out of my car. i pinpointed the location to the waterpump and figured the gasket was bad. i pulled it off and put a new gasket in. when i put everything back together its still leaks! maybe even worse!

the leak looks like it is coming from under the waterpump, right where i cant really see well. it also leaks very very slowly unless i take the radiator cap off. then it jsut like runs out freely.

almost like there is a crack in the water pump but i would have seen that when i had taken it out.

any ideas?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
It has a weep hole or something in it and when it goes bad it will leak. You will need a new or rebuilt waterpump.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
suprahero;1047244 said:
It has a weep hole or something in it and when it goes bad it will leak. You will need a new or rebuilt waterpump.

+1

Seals are gone in the waterpump, replace it as they usually go because the bearing go first.

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
wouldnt there be play in it? cause there was no play whatsoever. i specifically remember wiggling it around to see if it was good and it did not move in/out or back and forth.

lucky for me i actually have an extra one if that is the problem.

chopstickz

Dec 3, 2005
SoCal
when ur facing your car from the front. it should be on your left close to you. its under lots of other lines and such so you cant really see it that well.

87supraturbo19

pearl white
Jan 16, 2006
Springfield,MO
Same place as mine man! mine is leaking between block and timing belt case. Its leaking right behind the water pump. It has taken me several hours to pin point its location with a pressurizer and an inspection mirror. now I cant fix it without taking half of the motor apart.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
the weep hole is there to let you know that the seals are bad.. once the seal goes the bearings go shortly after... if not for the weep hole people would drive around till the fan came off and goes threw radiator...
:}