Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Keros said:
With all due respect Jeff,

This is a simple case of dictionary terms. Molecule is defined as the smallest division of any chemical compound or element that still retains the properties of said compound or element (the smallest grain of table salt one can possibly get that is still table salt). So, the difference (implying subtraction) of a molecule from any chemical compound would simply leave you with nothing at all. Hence, NaCl (sodium Chloride), minus a molecule... would be... nothing. Picture 1-1=0. Remember, an atom can be a molecule but a molecule will always be two or more atoms... Atom is reserved for elements, which will be considered molecules in their elemental state only. Once they are bonded with any combination of the other 109 elements, they become molecules. As we know, all matter in the universe is comprised of some combination of 110 (known) different atoms to form an infinite combination of molecules. Let's not mention anti-matter... please, it's late :icon_razz

I would in fact agree that it is a moot point to some extent, but it is a travesty on the intelligence of people to begin any argument with a misuse of a term, nonetheless the misuse of a term that is fundamental to the argument itself. It's like, were Bill (who knows a thing or two about cars) to have a problem with his head lights and asked Jack for help, and Jack asked him (in all seriousness) if he had checked his headlight fluid lately... Any words that come from Jack's mouth thereafter will be treated by Bill and those people that are "in the know", as slander and lies. Jack would henceforth be known as an idiot to Bill and his friends. But, were Jack to say that same thing to someone who knows nothing about cars as well, they would then mention it to the next person who had headlight trouble, and so forth, creating a chain of headlight fluid checking idiots that will spawn more of their kind. Thus, the domino effect I mentioned, but in an extreme example.

The "moot" part of the point, and I believe the fact that you were trying to highlight, Jeff, is that for example: table salt, NaCl (sodium chloride); Taking into consideration that sodium is an element that is reactive to anything and everything (and explosively reactive to water, it cannot be touched by any bare human tissue [3rd degree burns] or be exposed to atmosphere for any length of time [or you'll have no sodium left] [I blew up a reinforced pyrex beaker with sodium once... it was cool]), and that Chlorine has been used as an anti-personnel chemical weapon (known as bertholite, first used by Germany in the second battle of Ypres, WW1); but combined in an ionic bond (Na+ Cl-), they form a compound essential to carbon based life. Yes, one atom makes the difference... but that's like saying that pistons are the difference between an engine and a solid block of metal... that same block of metal could very well be formed into a car or a hammer. It's not a case of "add an atom and it's a bit different". Adding a single atom to a chemical bond can dramatically change the properties into an entirely different substance, something that has nothing to do with what we started with.

---

EDIT: Edited for clarity

With all due respect, sorry. I meant atom, and I thought the original post said atom too. I suck.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
9DMK3T said:
When people you hold doors for don't say, "Thank you."

I always say

"your welcome"

a little louder then normal with a little emphasis on welcome... seems to work pretty well.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
1) People picking their noses, especially in public.

2) People who you work with tries to be a badass and cut you down by acting like a stupid little cunt.

3) People not washing their hands after using the restroom.

4) People making decisions for you.

5) People treating you like you can't care for yourself.

6) Thieves(enough said?)

7) Telemarketers calling at all hours of the day/night trying to sell you stuff, despite the fact you told them "no" 5,647,493 times.

8) You get crappy service from waiters who rather flirt with young girls few tables down.

9) Redneck neighbors who rather park their cars in their front yard then on the street like everybody else.

10) Guys who intentionally bad mouths you behind your back to a girl I've been trying hang out with, just because he thinks it's a game.

I got more...maybe later tonight.