went to buy a 1jz today and........

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
so i went to a local importer today to buy a 1j for the soup. i get there they have 2 engines left. one is complete with and auto tranny,the other is missing parts.

so i but the one that has a tranny. i look it over and everything looks good minus a litle gunk in the valve cover,and a cracked plug on the harness to the ecu. they guy says he will give me a pigtail. i say ok ,and pay for the engine set.

i let him know that i would be back within 2 hours to pick it up,he says thats good because they need to test for compression before they let it leave the shop..i leave to pick up the truck and grab some food. while i am eating i get a call saying that there is bad news,he proceeds to tell me that the engine has very low compression on 3 cylinders....

just my luck i guess...probably shouldnt complain,atleast they checked it before i got it home and in the car...so,i got my money back and basically have a garentee that i can get a engine set at the same price whenever the next shippment comes in ,probably within the next week or 2....talkin about pissed tho,i had plans for the weekend!! i think i might have cried a little bit on the inside when he called and told me that.

i will let ya'll know what the outcome is. also how the service ,and engine runs,and where i got it from.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Got mine from jdm engine corp. Cheap with no trans runs perfect. All the seals still looked good and all the hoses were soft and runs like a champ.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Mine was 1174 to my house. With everything except it was front sump. Motor looked brand new tho.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Call them. Look on ebay as well.

Just make sure there is a uncut harness ecu and igniter with all accessories.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
whats the difference in front sump and rear sump i know its the placement of the oil pan. But why would you care witch one you got? Can are cars only fit rear sump engines?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya. The engine has to have a rear sump oil pan or else it wont get in. Other than that no difference.

I found mine pan set for cheap so i lucked out and saved. Most rear sump 1jz engines are like 1700-2000. With r154 2300.

Edit. ya i didnt want to pay that much or else i would have gone 2jz.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Sounds like bad luck indeed, but atleast he wasnt going to sell it to you. I would stick with him and wait until he gets another one. Its not everyday that someone will be that honest and not sell you something you already paid for. You could just stay with the 7M, lol. Sorry, had to throw that in there.

Good luck though

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Hvyman, have you ever heard anything bad about jdm corp? Are they the Ones in Richardson tx. I was thinking about driving up there for a 2j.

Supra NA-T

Total Annihilation
Nov 7, 2010
Leesville,La
Turbo Habanero;1716360 said:
whats the difference in front sump and rear sump i know its the placement of the oil pan. But why would you care witch one you got? Can are cars only fit rear sump engines?

yes our cars can only fit the rear sumps.

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
the 7m is already gone,stolen from my engine stand,along with my r-154,BIC DDP,and cooleze ic settup...or i would probably still be playing with the 7m.

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
hvyman;1716336 said:
Got mine from jdm engine corp. Cheap with no trans runs perfect. All the seals still looked good and all the hoses were soft and runs like a champ.

got my 2j there and the outside looked fine. Once I tried to take the harness off, every plug just crumbled once they were touched. pretty much had to replace the whole harness. once I got the valve covers off, I lost it. The lobes of the cams were covered in pitting and rust. looks like the motor was fished from a lake. I would never recommend this company

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Plastic gets brittle we all know that from the 7m. As for the inside. Pretty sure they dont look inside them, but if they do thats bad on there part.

That sucks.

BUt heres why id reccomend them. They shipped it to me fast too. GOt it in like 5 days.
p1716604_1.jpg

p1716604_2.jpg

p1716604_3.jpg

S.A. supra ya it was them. IF your close i would just drive down there and see what there motors look like. It also beats paying for shipping and then you know exactly what your getting,

I spent like 3 whole days looking for reviews on places. Seems like every place at one point or another has a bad review. Tjis place has been around a while and really doesnt have a whole lot bad agaisnt them. There is a 14day start up warrenty. You prolly could have sent back that sludged motor and gotten another one.

And actually i have seen tons and tons of pics of sludged up 1jzs.

There is also zerolift auto lab. They do a lot of business on zilvia.net and seem to have a good rep.