went drag racing last night now have a tapping/knocking sound:(

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Well had fun at the strip last night.. ran 7.99 @ 92.5 mph... only got 5 runs in... today I noticed that it was making a tapping sound about 2k rpm and higher.. but its slight.. not very loud.. I've had rod knock before twice and this doesn't sound like that... the car still pulls really hard.. my head has always been a little loud don't know why... I just replaced my head gasket last week I had the block and head checked out and machined and all was well... when I put it all backtogether it went great.. other than a slight timing issue...

The noise seems to go in and out when varying rpms weird.... could this just be a loose cam gear or crank pulley? Looked at oil and did a leak down test and all is good.. haven't done a comp test yet though... I'm going to find my stethescope to take a listen.. hope its in the head cause if not.. I'm gonna be pissed!

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Yeah, check your crank and other pullies. You think it could be and out of spec valve lash gap?
What was your 60ft time? Looks like you're running low 12's in the 1/4.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
My 60' was only a 1.95... it should be a low 12 or high 11with a better 60'... depending on how much I pick up in the big end... I've heard a ticking sound like my injectors and such but this is a light tapping sound... going to check all pullies in the morning.. and take off my valve covers and take a look..

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
ive had this happen, turned out to be a loose/bad cam gear. Mine were poor aftermarket though (OBX). Check any rotating assembly, specifically pulleys, crank, water, etc for axial or rotational play. I still have a slight tapping from time to time, i believe its my PS pully as it has some minor axial play.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Ryan, I ran a 7.91 @ 94.8mph at Texas and it still ended up being a 12.08 in the quarter, but that was with a 35mph head wind holding me back.

My head has always been really loud on my 1.5jz for some reason. I've never been able to locate the culprit, but it's still running strong so I don't even worry about it anymore.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
bought a new stethescope today.. going to look all around and see if i can find it.. Hopefully i can and it's just something small.. I really wanna go to TX2K10!! I drove the car today about 20 miles and it pulls fine and drives fine... just has this tapping noise...you can't event hear it below 2k... and it's slight above that... I'll update tomorrow..

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Damn Tx2k and pre-event issues, seems to happen to everyone...

Definitely check all of your pulleys, i've had a dampner come apart on me that started as a minor noise similar to what you describe. Not sure what else to suggest, stethoscope should help also. Hope to see you out there!

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
usually if i suspect an accessory, i'll start pulling belts to see if the noise goes away. i've seen water pumps make all sorts of noises. don't let it run very long with the belt off tho!

with some hard launches, i could see maybe the stock crank pulley seperating, especially if it's old. that's hard to check without pulling it tho, unless it is in really bad shape.

good luck man