Well that was scary

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
On my way home and all of a sudden the gas pedal goes soft and the car was reving up high so i stall the car and put on my hazards and pushed the supra to the side. I open the hood and basically my throttle mechanism blew up. I got all the pieces out and I just tie straps to hold together it works but I think I'm going to need one. Its for a 7mgte would anyone happen to have one for sale. The junkyard never has any turbo supras.

Check it out
p965230_1.jpg

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
There is at least one (maybe 2) nylon bushings in there, with a coiled spring to keep pressure against the throttle. The bushings are bad for wearing out.

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
DegreE;965232 said:
Ouch, how do you think it happened?

I have no idea I was just driveing and maintaining my speed and all of a sudden the rpm jumped and gas pedal was light. It was strange luckly it didn't over rev and I didn't crash...

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
SUPRASTEVE;965352 said:
I have no idea I was just driveing and maintaining my speed and all of a sudden the rpm jumped and gas pedal was light. It was strange luckly it didn't over rev and I didn't crash...

it wouldnt have over reved unless the gas was 100% open...

my throttle has gotten stuck 3 or 4 times now.

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
That's crazy! I have never heard or seen that happen before. I never thought of replacing that but maybe I will after seeing this.

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
I don' know how you would get the bushings in there. That spring tower does not disassemble.

I've been looking for one myself. Those bushings crumble and fall out.
*Make sure you get the correct accelerator linkage assembly for your vehicle - automatic or manual.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
My throttle jammed while driving as well, when my bushing broke. I was in 4th gear with the throttle jammed, and the car would either accelerate or the engine would overrev if I pushed the clutch in. I had to turn the ignition off and pull off the highway with no power steering or power brakes!

I replaced the broken bushing with a metal one I made out of a split washer. A bit of lube, and it's been fine since.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
tekdeus;965833 said:
My throttle jammed while driving as well, when my bushing broke. I was in 4th gear with the throttle jammed, and the car would either accelerate or the engine would overrev if I pushed the clutch in. I had to turn the ignition off and pull off the highway with no power steering or power brakes!

I replaced the broken bushing with a metal one I made out of a split washer. A bit of lube, and it's been fine since.

I had that happen too. what an "interesting" drive that was. The worst part was when I turned the car off, and the steering lock kicked in. lol.