Well, I think I got ripped off...

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
So I bought some "2JZ cams, machined to fit the 1JZ" a few months back from a guy on SF , and I finally got a chance to put them in today...or try to.

The replacement cams definitely were not machined to fit a 1j. The #1 exhaust cam journal is not wide enough was the first thing I noticed. After that, I didn't examine them too much because I was pissed, but it looks like the surface where the cam gear mounts to is wider on the 2j cams too.

Does anyone know exactly what else is different between the cams?? I am trying to weigh my options out, and see if I want to have them machined now...even though they are JDM 2JZ cams (according to jerkoff), which are slightly milder than the USDM 2JZ cams. Or maybe I should just get some real aftermarket cams...Any suggestions??

Last edited:

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
88mkIIIproject;876300 said:
So I bought some "2JZ cams, machined to fit the 1JZ" a few months back from a guy on SF (waiting to here back from him before I name drop), and I finally got a chance to put them in today...or try to.

The replacement cams definitely were not machined to fit a 1j. The #1 exhaust cam journal is not wide enough was the first thing I noticed. After that, I didn't examine them too much because I was pissed, but it looks like the surface where the cam gear mounts to is wider on the 2j cams too.

Does anyone know exactly what else is different between the cams?? I am trying to weigh my options out, and see if I want to have them machined now...even though they are JDM 2JZ cams (according to jerkoff), which are slightly milder than the USDM 2JZ cams. Or maybe I should just get some real aftermarket cams...Any suggestions??

Oh and not to mention the BS that it took to get these "machined" cams. He sent me a turbo on accident, and my cams to the turbo-buyer. So I had to wait for him to send me shipping money to send the turbo off, and I didn't see the cams for another 2 weeks. But thats neither here nor there at this point..

cool, a post i definitely know something about. there are two main things that need to be done to the 2JZ cams in order for them to fit.

#1. the oil seal things (cant think of the name) need to be machined down in order to accept the 1JZ oil seal.

#2. the first journal as you said needs to be machined wider in order to fit inside of the 1J head

that is all that is different on the cams.

sucks to hear that he shafted you man.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
TurboFreak;876303 said:
Shoulda kept the turbo...lol.

GL with this.

Yea I should have, lol. Thanks man.

Bigzavs;876350 said:
cool, a post i definitely know something about. there are two main things that need to be done to the 2JZ cams in order for them to fit.

#1. the oil seal things (cant think of the name) need to be machined down in order to accept the 1JZ oil seal.

#2. the first journal as you said needs to be machined wider in order to fit inside of the 1J head

that is all that is different on the cams.

sucks to hear that he shafted you man.

I see, thanks for the info. BTW, I am thinking about sending you a set of USDM 2JZGTE cams to machine for me; a buddy of mine has a spare set that I can buy. I'm thinking if I am going to get a set machined myself, I may as well get that extra 9 degrees of lift lol.

Are you still doing $115 with cam seals, shipped, provided my cams?

Thanks

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Bigzavs;876350 said:
cool, a post i definitely know something about.

I'm still searching for that one thread or post that I know something about..........:wtc:

Good luck getting this resolved.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
88mkIIIproject: Sorry to hear about your experience. I had mine done by Bigzavs a while back. I still have to put them in. But, Ben is great to deal with.

Ben: Funny this thread popped up today. I actually went to go buy the cam seals and put them in today and Advanced were out of stock. I was excited to put them in. It was like 70 here today. I was outside all day working on the cars.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Zazzn also sells Crower cams for the 1jz. That's the ones I have in my car. I have the crower 272 small core cams. I love them.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
88mkIIIproject: ya man, i can still do that for ya, just let me know when you want to

Andrew: good to hear your tossin those things in, hope you like them man. and let me know if you have any more trouble finding the seals, local auto store keeps a ton of them in stock.