weird TPS problem, I think....

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
So its on a 90 NA. The motors runs, and will drive, but when I step on the gas, it takes about 15 secs to climb in RPMs, to start accelerating half way decent. I believe its the TPS, but we have both tried adjusting it, and checking the TPS itself. Any ideas on what might be causing this? I also pulled codes 51, and 41. I know 51 is the TPS, but cant find what the code 41 means.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
41 is tps as well. Seems as both the idle circuit and the rest of it is either out of spec/mis adjusted, or the wiring is bad.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
well the car ran fine, till it was drove for a longer distance then usually. Just over a long bridge. Then when it slowed down, it idled weird and then died. So the wiring all looks fine. Could the TPS just be bad?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
TPS could be bad. Check the continuity back to the computer too make sure the wires are good. If they are, the TPS is bad.

When I get a TPS code, it is usually 51 meaning it is not adjusted properly. Did you check to make sure the idle up screw, if you have an early throttle body, is not holding the throttle plate open?

If it is, back it out and then adjust the TPS according the the TSRM.

If you need help, text or shoot me a call.

And before you ask, I don't have a TPS. :(