Weir stage 2 LSD upgrade review!

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
My stock LSD was barely working like most of them out there. Tested the breakaway torque at about 20 ft lbs. A friend and I both ordered the Weir stage 2 kits for our cars. Installation is very straightforward. Everything fit perfectly. First you separate the carrier and exchange the stock spring for the spacer and belleville washers. Then add the shims on each side behind the clutch packs, set the spider gears in place and keep exchanging shims until you have a proper backlash reading on the spiders gears. At first I set mine up too loose by using the thinnest shims. Breakaway torque was 100 ft lbs. The car drove just like stock, no noise or skipping. The diff locked every time in a straight line, but only about 3/4 of the time while drifting, so back out the diff came. This time I made sure I shimmed it as tight as possible, which ended up being the thickest shim in the kit on each side which still kept the spider gear backlash within spec. Much better! There is some tire skipping on very tight corners only when on the throttle but nothing like a welded diff. Still no noise. The diff locks hard every single time and stays locked while drifting. My torque wrench maxes at 150 ft lbs and would not make the diff slip. I used a breaker bar and applied at least 200 ft lbs without slipping until the tool I was using started to twist. Overall I'm very happy with the kit, I just hope it lasts. The clutch plates are steel and showed no signs of wear so hopefully they hold up well. I used Valvoline conventional 75w-90 limited slip gear oil which seems to be working fine. One last thing, I would recommend just getting the stage 2 kit over the stage 1 as it still behaves just fine on the street!

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
So I'm assuming this kit eliminates the need for using the older/thicker spring?
I also read in another thread about replacing the crush sleeve with a solid spacer of some type, does this kit take care of that as well?

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Yes the spring is replaced with a spacer and two belleville washers.

No, the crush sleeve you are thinking about is in the differential pinion shaft. You don't have to disassemble that part of the diff to install the kit.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
jake8790;2002253 said:
Yes the spring is replaced with a spacer and two belleville washers.

No, the crush sleeve you are thinking about is in the differential pinion shaft. You don't have to disassemble that part of the diff to install the kit.

Would you recommend doing it anyways just for the peace of mind and reliability?

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
It's up to you. If the diff is in good shape, I personally wouldn't mess with it. If it's in need of a rebuild, definitely do it all.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I did the stage 1 kit on mine, but im not sure what the breakaway torque is now. I don't plan on ever drifting it, so im not too worried. I did install a solid pinion spacer on mine- its similar to setting up the lash, in that you have to add the right amount of shims to get the pinion set right.

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
OP,

what was the your total cost of getting these parts? what tickness did you go with? I don't know if i m reading there website correctly? and it says 75 each. So is it 75 for a Each kit which includes all the parts or m i reading this wrong.

Also what are you pushing as power wise, I just installed 2jz in my car and looking to push 500, just need something that will handle the power

Supra 1986.5-92 MAXGRIP KIT #2 (competition/truck upgrade) $75.00 ea.

Kit comes with a full set of 8 shims thicknesses from .005”, .008”, .010”, .015”. Also comes with steel spacer ring and two disc springs. These parts replace the O.E.M. spring and increases spring load from 550lbs. to 1500lbs. using this kit we have reached a breakaway torque of 250 ft.lbs. This kit is not for the timid, serious competition use only.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
The $75 kit includes all of the shims, the ones you use depends in the clearance inside your specific diff. I'm running a stock 1jz with full exhaust and intercooler only but It's a drift car so it takes a lot of abuse. 7k rpm clutch drops are a regular thing. No diff problems yet. The diff should be just as strong with this kit in it as it came from the factory.