We finished our first Chumpcar race(s)!!

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
Amazingly enough, the #32 Supra "Shamu" took the checker flag both days of the CCWS double 7 hour race at Atlanta Motorsports Park this past weekend. We only had 1 mechanical when the battery box came loose with 1 hour to go on Sunday, causing the battery to fall over into the spare tire well, spilling some electrolyte. I fixed it in 15 minutes, and we finished. :)

This was our 1st race, and my 1st race car build. We only had to guys to drive and pit, other teams had 4 to 6, so we lost a lot of time in the pits.

Saturday 7 hour: 28th of 55
Sunday 7 hour: 20th of 50

The car has some issues with being too heavy, and too loose in the rear end. If anyone can give me some help with that, I would sure appreciate it.

Julian

DSCN0973.JPG DSCN0982.JPGDSCN0971.JPG

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
Congrats on finishing both days, that's an accomplishment! We run an 86.5 in Chumpcar races here in Texas, and we're dumb enough that we're gearing up for a 37 hour race at Eagles Canyon raceway in a few weeks.

In terms of weight reduction, go for the low hanging fruit. You don't need a dashboard in a race car, you can pull that and secure your gauge cluster by some other means. We're using a simple tach from ebay that has coolant temp, oil temp and oil pressure gauges built in. You can also remove the crash beams from the doors, all of the bracing from the underside of the hood, sound deadening is amazingly heavy on these cars (lots of dry ice in grocery bags is the miracle here, lay it over the sound deadening material to freeze it, then break it up with a mallet and it should fall right off, I think we removed 50 pounds of the stuff). There's also probably 30-40 pounds of useless wiring once you simplify a car for track duty, so you can carefully glean out all the unused circuits if you have some time to spare. We also took the time replace the factory front crash beam with a single piece of rollcage tubing. It's better than nothing and retains a good amount of strength while shedding some weight off the nose.

The Mk3 does get light in the rear once you pull things out like glass, spare tire, tools, etc. We're using ebay coilover sleeves with unknown spring rates and found the car to be too tail happy, so I simply removed one endlink on the rear to disable the rear swaybar, now the car is extremely well behaved on track.

It also appears that you aren't taking full advantage of the tire rules. Our car was an absolute widowmaker until we put GOOD tires on it. Brakes would lock up and were impossible to modulate, the car would spin with virtually no warning, etc. We stepped up to 245/45/17 Falken RT615 tires and the car instantly became brilliant. Do not underestimate the effect of good tires. Buy some inexpensive 17x9 inch wheels and run a 245 tire at minimum. We just switched to 17x9.75 XXR wheels (fairly light at 21.5 pounds, sturdy and inexpensive) and 255/40/17 Hankook Ventus RS-3 tires. I'd like to run 275 width tires all around, but the cost difference for tires was too much for my teammates to get on board with.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
I think I recall someone replacing the bumper support in their car with an aluminum one of similar dimensions out of a mercedes.
I think it might have been the guy from Spain with the white car with blue stripes. ( josbeat: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?142469-1300-Kg-Track-SUPRA-project )
My first supra was a worn out mess of a car but seemed to benefit a lot from having the rear shock towers braced with a couple diagonals to the floor to triangulate it. Of course you've got the full cage so that's probably moot.
Not sure if you've done anything with the bushings in the back, but there's a few options there.
You can get harder poly subframe bushings, solid AL subframe bushings, or last but not least in my opinion, fill the gaps in your stock subframe bushings with urethane yourself.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
Thank you for the info.

I was running 225/50-16, Firestone Indy 500 on Saturday that are absolute rubbish, and Bridgestone RE-11 on Sunday that were much better. I like your idea of going to wider 17" tires.

So the rear sway bar is causing the loose rear end? Did not know......

I am running up against total MPV. In an effort to preserve the motor, I put in an oil cooler and a Accusump. Added weight and MPV, but the motor survived. I cut the stock springs and used KYB shocks, but would definitely like something better. I may have MPV room for race springs in the rear.

I also changed all suspension bushings (except the rear spherical) to Energy Suspension Poly which ate up another $25 MPV. Should I also change the spherical to poly?

I did the bushings when I cut out and replaced the camber bolts. We were able to get -3.1 camber in the rear, but only -1.2 in the front. Is the higher rear negative camber enhancing the rear end looseness?

All of the easy inside stuff has been removed, including the door panels. I'm thinking about buying a plasma cutter and really attacking some excess sheet metal and braces.

I think there is some poundage to be saved in the engine bay. I still have all the emission control stuff, because I don't know what this stuff does. Do you know a good tuner here in the SE that could help me with the engine? I will gladly pay for good help.

That heavy front end came in handy when a Miata tried to make a too late pass and hit my passenger side front tire and fender. I kept going straight and he bounced off and went into a tire wall.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
atmperformance;2028594 said:
your chump car looks nicer than my lemons supra i'm now not running because i spent too much on it.

Bring it to Chumpcar. They have gone to a point system rather than actual $$$. If I can get some weight out of this car and cure the loose rear end, I can see it being a top 10 car, but probably not a winner unless I cheat on the engine.

I've got one 6" dent in the front passenger side fender and some paint to fix, otherwise the body faired well.

There was one other 87 Supra there, that went out after 3 hours the 1st day with a destroyed bearing. They lightened the heck out of it, but did not put in an oil cooler and Accusump.