Water pump failing - need to know what I can replace with it...

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Ok. The car started to overheat wickedly as I was driving home this afternoon, so I got her off the road and turned her off quick. After she cooled I got under the hood with Don (D7M) and we noticed that the front of the engine behind the cam cover was soaking wet with coolant and the radiator was bone dry (the resevior was still okay though, go figure...), so we determined that the water pump was finally toast. I can get one from Driftmotion pretty easily and wanted to know WHAT ELSE I should replace while I was in the front like that. I'm guessing all necessary belts and pulleys to go along with it to be sure.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Replace both 90 degree hoses. I had a bad clamp on my engine right after I rebuilt it (and replaced both 90 deg hoses) and it spat coolant out of the pipe-hose joint due to the low clamp tension.
I'd also replace the t-belt if it hasn't been done in a long time, and a new t-stat for the bare minimum.

Before any of that- make 100% sure you don't have another leak somewhere else in that general area! Nothing worse than throwing parts at a problem!

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
The radiator, top and bottom hoses, and radiator cap have all been replaced, so I'll research the 90 deg. hoses and freeze plugs as well. But it's pretty obvious that the coolant is coming from around the cam cover area.