Water in rear hatch

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Well I found some rust in the rear hatch area of my supra the other day and cleaned it out to the best of my ability. The damage was mostly surface with one spot a little smaller then a dime right near the rear drain plug in the spare tire well that rusted through. I was unsure exactly how the water had gotten in because the old owner had some empty bottles in the back one was an ATF that I know for sure leaked. So I got some bottles of water and realized that the old girl is leaking from 3 places. One is from the top window seal which was very minor the other 2 were both rear tail lights. The water was running down the channels and pretty much just flowing into the car from behind the tail lights. The light gasket in that area was basically nonexistent so I know that is a problem but even with the gasket fixed it appears that the water would still pool at the corners above the lights. Am I missing something? Or would just replacing these seals make that much difference?
Also what is the best course of action to repair the rust? Does anyone make a floor pan for the rear hatch area? Should I just cut the really damaged area out and weld in a patch? Or should I just use some hardened paint products such as (I believe they are called) Por 15, silver bullet, or truck bed liner? I figure I will get flamed for suggesting such a low tech cheap fix which is fine but please explain why I’m an idiot for suggesting it. Such as it will degrade the vehicle rigidity and structural strength or whatever the case may be. Thanks for any and all assistance in this matter.

James

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Got to toyota or driftmotion.com/or call arron and order some new seals. Hatch is a little expensive but the tail light seals are cheap.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
hvyman;1630816 said:
Got to toyota or driftmotion.com/or call arron and order some new seals. Hatch is a little expensive but the tail light seals are cheap.

Link to the seals on driftmotions site? I looked and didn't see them there.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you call him im sure he can get them and at a better price. He can get more than what is listed on his site.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
Make sure you inspect under the trimming from the rear hatch glass. My car had a 1 square inch rust spot that had filtered tiny droplets and it ate through the rear passenger side pocket of the wheel well; pretty bad too.

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Yea I removed all of the trim in the hatch area. I just got finished removing the driver side and hatch spoiler but for whatever reason I am struggling with the passenger side. I know the antenna is there but that isn't causing a problem I just can't get the stupid thing to release after removing the two side screws and don't want to put too much force behind it because I do not want to snap it. Anyone have any suggestions? Also I am trying to remove the (what I assume to be) the stock sound proofing pad as part of the prep to deal with the hatch rust. I have gotten some of it up but must be doing something wrong. Is there a chemical that helps break up the tar or should I be using a heat gun?

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Also the water can leank in between the lense and body of the tail light, sometimes you need to run a bead of sealer along the top of the tail light where the black strip meets the lense

This is a common cause for leaks as the lights get older, surprised no one has brought this up

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Yea I just wanted to replace the tail lights but they are like 216 per lens from the dealer and that doesn't count the 23 dollar gasket. I can't believe the price of them. Even the dealer parts guy was taken back.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
What, our cars aren't like old Chevies, with the factory installed leaks? Weird...

As for the passenger side wing piece, I put electrical tape around the tip of a small diameter (but about 8" long) screwdriver, and used that to "pop" the little button toward the front of the wing side piece. Just be gentle and she'll be ok. Man... that sound dirty to anyone else? :p

Enraged;1631213 said:
what, your igloo not have a phone line?

Literally laughing like an idiot over here... that was great.

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Well just a quick fyi if you are planning on removing the tar'd in sound proofing use a heat gun. it will save you and your arms alot of work.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
toyotapartscheap.com
driftmotion.com
or Champion Toyota / Elmhurst on the other site SF

I got a new hatch seal IIRC i paid 68/86 from dealer a few months ago. Tail lights are cheap.

Also, take off the bottom rear window molding, apply silicone on the studs of the molding as water gets under and drips into the hatch. I have new tails and hatch seal n thats how water got in after i replaced all those other seals.