Wanted Supra mk3 7mgte (NOOB!!)

7M_Supra

Oct 15, 2012
Minnesota
Hi, so i was looking at a Supra mk3 turbo. i just have a few questions for all of you mk3 owners before i start on buying one.
i just wanna know the common problems of owning one, is it a easy maintance (as in, is the replacable parts cheap? thats if you go aftermarket)
and the good part about owning one. i was told that the HG was an issue with these mk3..
so...

1. whats the pros/cons of owning one?
2. whats the highest Gas mileage these things get?
3. Common problems?
4. Can i do a custome straight pipe on these?
5. DOES IT HAVE HEAT SOAK?! hopefully not,

but yupp, thanks! i might have more questions later on also...

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
Kinda like a boat....happiest days of owning one are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. LMAO! You have a LOT to learn...start reading.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
Spend some time just browing around. There are several helpful stickies. I'll try to answer your questions at least a little but you'll just have to lurk around the site to find more detailed info.

1) Pro: Fun to drive if you build it right. Con: Typically expensive to build them right.
2)26 is what Ive' personally seen on the highway. A 7mgte is not really a fuel saver kind of engine if you plan on having any power.
3) Head gasket failure(original), Wiring/connector degredation, turbo seals(original), targa seal leaks(original)
4) Whether you can do a custom straight pipe or not I do not know. I know that several others have built custom exhausts for theirs. While straight pipe can be done most people will probably tell you to get a high flow cat and at least a resonator if you plan to be driving on the street regularly.
5) Any car can get heat soak, it depends what you are actually referring to when you say heat soak.

Hope that at least cleared up a few things for you. Welcome to the site, now start searching and browsing. Chances are that by now any question or problem you have someone else has probably had in the past so there is likely a thread on it.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
They are pretty expensive to operate. It's good though because you can upgrade stuff and fix it at the same time if you do it right. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. As in, after all the work you put in, it will be an awesome fast car.

spoolme

supra4umsfreak
May 9, 2005
Roswell, NM
when i first bought my first supra back in 04 it was nice...then i started moding it, i spent to much money, broke, blew up, bought new stuff, blew up and bought more. in the end....i had a car with bad paint, sucked down gas like no tomorrow, but i was whooping on corvettes and the like, but still was a pos.
certain parts are expensive...if you buy a run down beat to shit mk3 then beware. If you have no skill, time, or money to work on your own car when something breaks its more expensive.
Lessons i learned, do it right, dont cheap out, dont dog on the supra unless built to do so and you might come out fine. but everyone has their "lessons" to learn about owning a vehicle.

TheMaxx

Jan 8, 2012
orlando
My supra has a straight downpipe that ends underneath the passenger seat. It sucks 90% of the time. However as it became my daily driver now I hate my exhaust. So what I would recommend is don't do that. and fuel economy ya... no. An expensive headache that I love and cherish and rewards me with broken parts from time to time. Check. The reality is do not get one unless your prepared to start learning to work on it or have a lot of cash to lay down on parts+labor. Because it will break. They are all 20+ year old cars that have been neglected and abused, with maybe a few low mileage exceptions out there. As for heat soak I am not quite sure what you mean. It is a turbocharged car and should be treated as such i.e. proper idle down times and let it warm up before you break it. Lastly do your research or this car will probably break your heart.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'll add only a couple things, the rest you're better off lurking and reading for the time being.

-Mileage is very much a reflection of your driving habits. Just yesterday I got 27.5 mpg on a 210 mile trip, cruising anywhere from 65-110 (brief stint on the high end of that). I believe I could get around the 30mpg mark if I had stock sized low rolling resistance tires, but then I wouldn't be able to lay down the power very easily. Hmmm, that could be fun actually. Alternatively, I can pretty much empty a tank in less than an hour if I really wanted to. ;)

-After being around Supras for about 8 years now, and owning them for just shy of 6, I feel confident I could build another one of these in a reasonably nice condition for around $10,000. All depends on your starting point, but like has been said, they're all at least 20 years old by now...

Oh, and it goes without saying... these cars demand the occasional blood sacrifice. :p

leezymk3

Sep 1, 2012
nashville
I think mk3 is prettie cheap car to own,
I put more money in my sr20det swap 240sx(I sold it),and make last power then
My 2jzgte swap mk3,,,