Waffling...

80083r

Ok, so I posted last week that I got a new job and will have some money to spend on the supra, but...

1. I'm not knowledgeable enough to do it right, and paying someone else to do things is mucho expensive.
2. My other hobbies eat up too much of my time.
3. I love the car, but it's feeling like a hassle right now.

So, I'm thinking that selling the supra and getting something else to drive for fun might be a good choice. I love the supra, the feel, the unique looks etc. I'm just not sure that I'm cut out to be a supra owner. The car is about 95% stock ("upgraded" air filter, Eibach springs, KYB shocks) - I might get $5k for it if I'm lucky. Keep in mind I'm in Canada, these suckers are more rare up here. I'm going to take a bath on price, and that's okay. I also have nowhere to store the car that does it any good.

So - that said, what do you think would be a good replacement that needs less TLC? I still want sporty, fun, comfortable and under $20k. I like the look of the FRS and I may take one for a spin; anyone taken a ride in one? What are they like?

Joe__G

Dec 6, 2013
MS
S2000 is a fun car to drive but I don't know how comfortable you'd be in it.

The FR-S would be a similar situation as far as size goes, but I agree that it's underpowered. It's also over your budget. Put a turbo kit on it and it would be fun but you'd be close to $30k by then even if you found a used one...

Some others to consider would be an Evo or STi. You could get an LS1 powered f-body, GTO, corvette or CTS-V (which would definitely be comfortable). A BMW 3-series or Z4 could come in under your budget but might be expensive to fix and/or maintain.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I drove an FRS and it was a fun car, but it is very small inside, and I don't know if they are old enough yet to get decent ones under 20k. Even the steering wheel is small to make a little more space inside. Also, they are becoming really common place around here and I like to have something a little different.

I was going to suggest the s2000 as well but I don't know if you will fit, I've never been in one. I know for sure you wont fit in a miata because I don't and I'm shorter than you. Not sure how they compare size wise to an s2000. You could go for a C5 Z06 Corvette (still get to have pop-up headlights with this one :)), 350/370z, GTO, or like mentioned above you could get the last generation of trans am. I think they are great looking cars with the WS6 ram air package and you can definitely get a nice one for under 20k.

80083r

Will be paying cash for a new (to me) vehicle.

Have a Pontiac Pursuit right now as a DD, waiting on parts for the ignition cylinder recall. Will be looking at a subaru outback/forester/crosstrek as a dd/family car before I buy a new toy - will be paying at least 50% cash for that too.

The new job is quite nice - about double what I'm making now, my wife is back at work, and we will be living rent free. It all happened the same week, it's a bit like winning the lottery.

I'm not in a rush, and really I'm looking for something that will be a project, but not a PROJECT if you know what I mean? I would even be amenable to finding another supra, and spending money for one that is restored already. I do love the car, but I have NO shop to work on it, and no time to learn how :) Minor body repair, upgrades, tweaking I'm all good with. My current car needs some major restoration - it runs well, but it's tired.

I really like the STI, haven't tried the EVO. I guess I'd be looking at a 2004? Won't it be hard to find one that hasn't been abused?

I suppose I could switch over to American made for my toy - I prefer something tight handling over top power. I should probably take a FRS/BRZ for a test drive and see what I think.