W58 year differences

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
Does anyone know if an 89+ W58 manual transmission will fit in a pre-89 car? Seems to me that it should. The Wikipedia article on the W-series suggests the only difference is the 89+ has a steel sandwich plate. They drawings in the Cygnus EPC look very similar, but I wouldn't bet on the accuracy of those. I thought I'd ask here before I checked to see if the 89+ W58 is still available.

I have called a dealership and the pre-89 trans is no longer available, part 33030-1B020. The 89+ one is 33030-22710. These are for the ones with ABS. I'd pay $1600 for a brand new one, if I could.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
I figured, but thought I'd ask. The rear trans mount looks slightly different in the EPC, though, between the two versions. Different part numbers for the bolts, too. The 89+ trans mount looks to be taller in the EPC than the pre-89, but as I said, I wouldn't bet on the accuracy of those line drawings.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
33030-22710 is no longer available from Toyota. Time for me to decide between rebuilding it myself or shipping it off to someone who can do it right.

AGsupra

Sep 28, 2013
Whales
You don't want to go into it yourself, unless you can make special gear & bearing pullers.
Worst damn trans I ever been into, everything is a super tight press fit.
Spent more time making things to get it apart than actually working on it.

Kits are fairly cheap though, about $200.
Here is an on-line manual:
http://www.turbosupras.com/pdfs/A70 TSRM/14_MT.pdf

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
I just had the W58 in my ChumpCar rebuilt by a local guy, after I bought the kit from Driftmotion. He said it was a royal PIA. The trans was shifting fine and made no noises, but we found some metal bits on the drain plug, so while the engine was being rebuilt, we had the motor done as well.

The builder said, among other things not so nice, the trans appeared to have been overheated at some time before I got it, probably from leaking most of the fluid out through the front seal. Also, the 1-2 and 3-4 shift forks needed replacing. Luckily those were still available, the 5-R was not so I was told.

Anyway, he did a good job on the rebuild, and probably the next one would be easier. He's in SC somewhere.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
That occurred to me, 3p... According to the Wikipedia, the W58 was used all the way up to the 2005 IS300. My concern is buying a $2400 transmission that I can't return and my bellhousing and tail housing (with ABS) don't fit or the input/output shafts are different. I'm sure the IS300 one is still available, even without checking. A quick check of car-part.com tells me the IS300 W58 was rare... Autos are plentiful. SC300s are rarer than IS300s in general.

Roger UK

Jun 20, 2010
Newcastle
I'm pretty certain the pre- and post-Facelift W58s used in the Mk3 are the same.

I guess you never imported many MANUAL Mk3s in the USA . . . here in England there are LOADS of s/h W58s available from scrap cars, pretty cheap.

I've just bought a replacement for £100 - only because my existing box has a very slight input shaft bearing noise when in neutral, having done 220,000 miles (the replacement is from a 60,000 mile car, so should be OK)

You could have my old box for £50 ! (it's otherwise perfect, no play in the stick or whine)

Regarding later boxes, the Mk4 N/A Supras use a version of the W58 - the input shaft is the same (although different bellhousing), but the shifter is completely different, as are the Speed Sensors and Speedo Drive is electronic, not mechanical.