W58 won't go into reverse

serpentkilla

Aug 29, 2009
PA
I have a 2jzgte swapped starion, i swapped the external shifter for a internal one. It's not going into reverse, i'm not sure if it was this way when i got it. It shifts fine in the other gears but not reverse. What do u think my problem could be?

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
reverse does not have a synchronizer. On mine some times i have to wiggle the shifter if that does not work I start jamming back and forth then sometimes that fails so I pull back on it and clutch out a little and that helps.

serpentkilla

Aug 29, 2009
PA
staticpage;1411580 said:
reverse does not have a synchronizer. On mine some times i have to wiggle the shifter if that does not work I start jamming back and forth then sometimes that fails so I pull back on it and clutch out a little and that helps.

Thanks for the reply, i tried that but it still no workie. It's not even grinding like it's trying to do something.

serpentkilla

Aug 29, 2009
PA
supraracer49;1411602 said:
What do you mean external shifter for a internal one?

Here is a pic of a r154 with the external shifter
attachment.php

And here is the other internal w58
attachment.php

Attachments

• R154.jpg
    R154.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 54
  • W58.jpg
    W58.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 52

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
It does shift into 5th fine???? 5th and reverse are on the same slider hub and usually if there is a problem with one, there will be issues with the other.

Have your tried puting it into a different gear like 3rd or 5th then pulling straight into reverse?? As stated above, reverse does not have a syncro and sometimes its hard to get it into gear cause of the slider hub teeth not lining up with the interlock teeth on the gear and putting it into a different gear will help rotate the assembly to where the teeth will line up better.

Also make sure the clutch is fully disengaging. Being that there is no syncro on reverse, clutch that is not 100% releasing will tend to cause issues especially going into reverse.

serpentkilla

Aug 29, 2009
PA
cjsupra90;1411633 said:
It does shift into 5th fine???? 5th and reverse are on the same slider hub and usually if there is a problem with one, there will be issues with the other.

Have your tried puting it into a different gear like 3rd or 5th then pulling straight into reverse?? As stated above, reverse does not have a syncro and sometimes its hard to get it into gear cause of the slider hub teeth not lining up with the interlock teeth on the gear and putting it into a different gear will help rotate the assembly to where the teeth will line up better.

Also make sure the clutch is fully disengaging. Being that there is no syncro on reverse, clutch that is not 100% releasing will tend to cause issues especially going into reverse.

it goes in to 5th gear just fine. I tried putting it in 5th and then bringing it straight back but it almost seems like it's stuck. Nothing i do works and i'm pulling on that trick and still nothing.

serpentkilla

Aug 29, 2009
PA
sparkplug619;1411870 said:
thats trivv, so what you did was take the r154 half and put it on the w58? I never heard of that before

No those pics i copied from the internet. The motor came with the w58, all i did was did the shifter swap. i'm not sure if it was screwed up from the jump or what. I need to replace the clutch so i will check everything out then. This motor feels so damn good in this car, wow.

Jtek

Feb 5, 2009
vancouver, wa, usa, earth
Try reverse with the engine off?
Try rolling it forward or backward with pressure pushing on the shifter in reverse?
Maybe reverse lock-out mechanism got screwed up somehow? When you pullthe shifter from 5th and then let it go between 3rd and 4th, you should hear a click...its so you don't go into "6th" gear at 70mph+ :)

I recently did this rear housing swap and the shifting shaft end that engages the gates is wider on a w58 from 83 mk2 than sc300/mk4 w58. Don't know the whole story on yours, just what I experienced....lots of expensive smelly gear oil and doing the job twice.

serpentkilla

Aug 29, 2009
PA
Frenzy;1414038 said:
Try reverse with the engine off?
Try rolling it forward or backward with pressure pushing on the shifter in reverse?
Maybe reverse lock-out mechanism got screwed up somehow? When you pullthe shifter from 5th and then let it go between 3rd and 4th, you should hear a click...its so you don't go into "6th" gear at 70mph+ :)

I recently did this rear housing swap and the shifting shaft end that engages the gates is wider on a w58 from 83 mk2 than sc300/mk4 w58. Don't know the whole story on yours, just what I experienced....lots of expensive smelly gear oil and doing the job twice.

I tried that to, it just seem like it doesnt even have a reverse. I have to replace the clutch so when i have it out i will pull it apart and fix it.

On that note, what are you guys using for a clutch?

ryangaudoin

Dec 10, 2008
Toronto
i had something like this happen to me when i had my w58 tranny, i used to put it streight into reverse and it used to grind.

the best thing to do is what i did, when your at a full stop put it into 2nd gear and then reverse, i do that with ever manual tranny i have now

if that doesn't help im not sure what it is but maybe someone with more experience could help

Ryan

serpentkilla

Aug 29, 2009
PA
ryangaudoin;1447911 said:
i had something like this happen to me when i had my w58 tranny, i used to put it streight into reverse and it used to grind.

the best thing to do is what i did, when your at a full stop put it into 2nd gear and then reverse, i do that with ever manual tranny i have now

if that doesn't help im not sure what it is but maybe someone with more experience could help

Ryan

Thing is, im not sure if it came this way or if it was something i did. Iv'e tried everything:icon_mad:. It almost feels like there is no reverse