W58 Transmission fluid question

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I did a search and found one relevant thread with inconclusive conflicting information....

Recently changed the fluid in my stock 89 NA W58. The fluid that came out was unsurprisingly silver, but not horrible. Don't know if it had ever been changed before. That car has almost 240k km's on it. I filled it (properly) with what the TSM recommends which was 75 or 80w90 gear lube type. After doing so, the trans seems to have a more notchy feeling and seems to be a little more difficult to shift. Especially into 3rd shifting up and doesn't like going into lower gears while down shifting without rev-matching, which it used to do before more easily. I rev match anyways, so not a big deal. But the fact that it's more notchy and more difficult to shift with the new fluid makes me think it's not the best fluid for it. I keep hearing GM synchromesh is the bees knees of manual trans fluids and I'm thinking I might change it out for that stuff if it will make the trans significantly more smooth and less crunchy...

What are you guys using and what do you recommend?

Thanks.