W58 to 7mgte swap

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
Robins Air Force Base, GA
Hey guys just wanting some advice, I've got an 88 turbo automatic, I picked up an 87 no turbo 5 speed, and I'm wanting to swap the w58 into it, what I'm wondering is if the w58 will mesh up with the 7mgte without a problem? I got lucky, the entire clutch system and flywheel are brand new so that was a saving grace, but I'm wanting to make sure I'm not going to have a problem with the fitment and the swap, power wise I'm not super concerned I'm not going to be making a ton of power with the motor itself, I'm just wanting some advice on the swap, thanks in advance guys

Also can y'all help me find the Billym shifter bushings for the w58 and the shifter? And are the shifters for the w58 and the r154 the same when it comes to the plastic bushing at the bottom? Again thanks guys

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I swapped a w58 into my 88 GTE. No issues at all. You'll need a driveshaft from the w58 as well as its bell housing. Hardest part was probably fishing the clutch line through the right crevices without removing much else.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
cool, i got it all out of a parts car so i have everything with it, pedal assembly, drive shaft, whole trans including bell housing, slave cylinder, master cylinder, lines, everything, i got super lucky and awesome, i just wasnt sure if the bolt patterns were the same or not, thanks guys

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
Hey guys I'm trying to figure out of the bolts that connect the auto transmission to the engine are the ones I use to connect the new manual or do I need new bolts? Also will I need to change out the starter or with the starter for the auto work with the new flywheel? Thanks guys

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
A-to-the-J;2005964 said:
W58 on a GTE is amazing! I kind of miss the W58. IMHO, better gearing for "spirited" mountain runs and launches. But that's just me.

I've owned both combinations and I much, much prefer the W58. I won't switch up the R154 until I grenade the W58. I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise. Tractor/Truck trans vs a smooth car trans... hmmm... easy decision for me until you're beyond ~400 whp.

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
So how important is it to hook up the two sensors on the clutch pedal assembly? Do you actually need then hooked up for everything to work or does it matter?

87sleeper

May 13, 2013
Seaside
Just to add my two cents. If you have a 7mgte you should not have a w58. the w58 is for the NA model and can't handle the power output of the 7mgte. I personally have a supra that was automatic NA and was fully converted to 7mgte and w58 manual. After just increasing the boost to 12 psi, I blew my 4th gear synchro. If you have any plans on having power gains above stock then spend the time and money towards R154. Keep searching the For Sale forums and eventually you'll find all your parts for the conversion. The great thing is that not all the parts are different which you'll find with research. I would recommend just buying a non running turbo model supra for cheap that has the r154 already in it and start your project supra from there. You can find plenty of turbo supra's for much less than the cost of doing the conversion and spending the time scraping through junkyards 100 miles apart for several months to find the parts. Im in the process of buying another turbo supra with rod knock but a ton of new parts for $1200 , having the motor rebuilt with new crankshaft and other parts will cost about 600-1000. but after a $2200 investment you'll have a hell of a start. Good luck with your Supra!

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
I got the entire w58 swap out of a parts car I paid 35 bucks for, I'm not looking to get a ton of power just to have some fun, and I'm not wasting the money on an r154 right now when I have the entire swap already. If I end up going 2jz then I'll spend the money to find one. Either that our I'll sell the mk3 and finally get me a mk4 and not worry about it at all. Mainly my auto was starting to crap out and for the price I could go ahead and do the w58 for now and be happy, but thanks for the advice I'll keep it in mind for the future projects