vvti 2jz?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The car was offered in later Japanese Supras.

Pros: Huge powerband

Cons: smaller rods, smaller oil passages in the block, little to no aftermarket cam support.

If you had the option to get it, do it. Even the weaker bottom end is pretty damn strong. If you haven't seen it already, next time you come down here, go to RCTS, and Check out Reg Riemer's IS300. Makes something like 450whp on a completely stock motor (just engine management), and it pulls damn hard (Yes, I've been in it). It just makes torque EVERYWHERE.

From a tuning aspect, let the stock ECU handle the cam timing, and everything else is easy.

SirLoki

Aug 8, 2007
Fullerton
twincam187 said:
what car is this engine generally out of?

its from the year 2000

what are the ups and downs to using this engine?

2jzgte vvti

98+ Toyota Aristo V300

98+ Toyota Supra

only real downside to it is the factory drive by wire.... its just a personal preference but i hate the feeling of drive by wire. Only came automatic with e-shift..... removing the drive by wire throttle body eliminates the vvti

strictlySupra

Dec 19, 2006
Canada
i was told this engine is coming with a 6-speed. so whats this drive by wire thing? i guess it is outta a 1998+ supra

the engine will be running with the aem ems

the overall seems to be that its a good choice..

will this run with the aem nicely?

good info thx,
jeff

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
It's great for stock twin or small turbine performance, but to play with the big boys you need a non-vvti engine. The single VVTI guys have to disable vvti anyways, because it fucks with the tune, so whats the point of having it anyways.... IDK if AEM can control DBW, but I know a motec can.

Also, you will chunk the rods out of the engine over 500whp.

Non VVTI aristo motors are like $2000.. do the right thing :)

Rich

tunin' tha beast
Jun 2, 2007
the netherlands
twincam187 said:
i was told this engine is coming with a 6-speed. so whats this drive by wire thing? i guess it is outta a 1998+ supra

good info thx,
jeff

It's a real pain to get the aem to read the crank signal correctly of a vvti because the crank signal wheel is a missing tooth type.
I know Arnout from supras.nl has managed to get it working, but I don't know how he did it.
The vvti system however is very good manageable with the aem.

SirLoki

Aug 8, 2007
Fullerton
twincam187 said:

good info thx,
jeff

2jzgte vvti never came with a manual gear box

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Here's my take on this. The whole point of the vvti is not really to increase overall power, rather to produce low end torque/power while maintaining high end power. Basically it will give you as mentioned above "torque everywhere". Whether you should get it or not depends on your interests. If your planning to race, especial drag, vvti is NOT what you want. If you just plan to DD it and maybe hitt the track sometimes, vvti will be "funner" for the streets. This is mainly because, as said already, it gives you a broader power band. This translates into more power in the lower rpm level and an overall flatter curve so that when your on the street just cruisin at 3500 rpm and you stomp on it, you're not left waiting for something spectacular to happen. Where as at the track your almost redlining the whole time and wouldn't need the vvti. I hope this makes sense. just my .02

SirLoki

Aug 8, 2007
Fullerton
annoyingrob said:
But it can be done. I know of three around town here, one with a W58 (IS300), another with a V160 (MKIV), and a third with a R154 (MKIII)

ill rephrase my statement, "2jzgte vvti never came bolted with a manual gearbox from Toyota"

strictlySupra

Dec 19, 2006
Canada
ok so these guys are fucking me around then because they are telling me its out of a 2001 car has the 6speed transmission ... i originally thought that the vvti was a step down from the regular old 2jz but someone had told me otherwise..

now i seem to be getting mixed input.

the bottom end on the vvti engine is no good after 500hp?

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
it's a pain.... I'll never go vvti unless I have the level of support to get to my power goals. Plus you'll spend so much more on part and electronic to get to were you want it. And at the end of the day you'll still get smoke by a non vvti.
Hell a 1j...LOL

strictlySupra

Dec 19, 2006
Canada
i guess i'll see what i get lol.. i may have some harsh words to say about this shop before this is said and done. its a pretty reputable shop too. :3d_frown: