Voltage on speed sensor

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
I have a quick question about the voltage on the speed sensor line. I am troubleshooting my cruise control problems and have come across a poorly installed (and removed) alarm system wiring job under the dash. Now, I get no indication of speed on the cruise control diagnostics. According to the TSRM, when I drive above 21 mph, the cruise light should start blinking. It doesn't. It just stays on solid. Now, I went to page BE-80 here and it says that when I rotate the wheel I should get a regular pulse on pin 7 as the wheel is rotated. Well, I get that. What I have an issue with is here on page 58. If you look at the wiring for the speed sensor, there is no voltage input. All it shows is that I should never have voltage on that line. When the ignition is off, I don't. However, when the ignition is on, I go from 5 volts to 0 volts over and over, same as the pulses before. Mind you, this is in a 1987 Supra Turbo with a manual transmission and AEM v1. I get the speed sensor input on AEM just fine so anyway is 5 volts with the switch contacts open fine?