Very strange R154 problem

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Hoping I can get some help with this. I bought a brand new R154 from a friend that had been sitting for 4-5 years. Ordered new from Toyota. I swapped it in my car that had a broken R154. I drove it for a few hundred miles taking it easy. Used Redline MT90 in it. Shifted great. I decided to go harder on it today, it's in a drift car. When I kick the clutch hard in second gear at high rpm, it starts making a loud grinding/clicking noise until you let off the gas. It's still engaged in second this whole time like nothing is wrong. The noise sounds like its back near the shifter but I could be wrong. It only does it in second. Can launch hard in first, or kick the clutch and break the tires loose at highway speed in 3rd, and it's fine. It won't make the noise on a full throttle pull through second either. Otherwise it's quiet and shifts fine. Has anyone ever heard of this before or have any idea what it could be?

Blackmk3

Apr 10, 2006
New Zealand
1st gear thrust washer wont last long with that treatment even on a new box. Id go easier on that clutch kicking until you upgrade the washer

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
It was fine on disassembly of the broken one, I ended up breaking the 1-2 shift fork. I was merciless on the old r154, going to go easier on this one for sure.