VE table tuning - Maft pro

kisedcd

Apr 30, 2008
Minneapolis/St Paul, MN
I'm not having much luck finding solid information on how to tune with the VE table.

I've searched but with the new layout of the website and the age of my computer, it's seriously painfully slow.

Anyway, someone correct me if I'm wrong or better yet point me to relevant threads.

If it matters, I'm running speed density with 550 injectors. Soon to go back to 440's temperarily for testing purposes.

The basics that I understand at this point are:
#1 Start with a fully warmed up engine.
#2 Setup Pro - Ensure PT tracking and AFR tracking are disabled; set mid, low, and high load tunes to all 0's; set mainscale to 0.
#3 Start engine and try to achieve the best idle posible by adjusting fuel pressure, this could be anywhere between 28 and 34 psi with the vac line removed and capped. Reference AFR's and VF signals.
This is where I'm not so sure.
#4 Highlight the cell that you want to change that matches or most closely matches the RPM and Kpa that your at. In the toolbox under Value, enter a number representing the amount of change you want made to the figure displayed in the selected cell. Again referencing AFR's and VF signals. I dont understand though Function Type, do you always want to leave that in Offset(+/-)? A positive # adds full, a negative # removes fuel?
#5 Log and tune basically the same as at idle for cruise. If a buddy is along for the ride, he can monitor AFR's for engine health and could make changes on the fly in emulation mode.
#6 Carefully make changes for high tune basically the same way as cruise probably more by logging then tuning due to things happening so quickly. At 300 rwhp, I'm into 80 mph before I know it and wondering if I missed something in between, LOL. But seriously log, pull over then tune.

Hopefully I have this close and haven't muddied the water to much.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
Looks good to me. Review the "Information: vf" sticky.

You can do your own math and enter the number directly, or use the calculations tool with the multiplier, etc. It's all personal preference. Be aware that it's a percentage thing. Adding 10% to the number will give you 10% more fuel. So changing 50 to 55 will give you that 10%, not just 5%! Changing 100 to 110 will also give you 10%.

If the VF is high (5v), bump up the number a bit. If the VF is low (1v), bring the number down.

kisedcd

Apr 30, 2008
Minneapolis/St Paul, MN
I appreciate the response.
It's good to know I'm on the right track.

One question I still have though is, Function Type, do you always want to leave that in Offset(+/-)? Is that where one makes the percentage changes to the cell value. Also, is it best to change each cell individually or to change a block of cells at a time?

Having never manipulated the VE table, I'm a little apprehensive in doing so. Load tunes are so easy, zero is zero. If you mess it up just go back. VE seems so diifferent, don't know what the starting point was unless an initial chart is made.

Hoping not to over complicate the whole process.
Thanks again.

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
First off, make sure you're using VE Table #2 (Maftpro settings). Unless you have some high-lift cams or something...

If you want to change a single cell, just doubleclick on it and enter the new number you'd like. You can use offsets, but what I find most handy is the multiply function for making percentage changes, and the 'fill w value' for changing whole blocks at once to the number I want.

Save your bin with the initial values so you can refer back to it when necessary.

Remember you can hit Ctrl+L to enable the ALDL data tracing, which will show what values are being averaged for the load number at any point in a log file.

kisedcd

Apr 30, 2008
Minneapolis/St Paul, MN
Thanks for the information.

It's all somewhat greek to me, I need to jump into it and get my feet wet.

Fuel injectors go back in this weekend so I'll be tackling it then.