Valvetrain Snap Ring: Do I need it?

kntmikado

Rage Your Dream...
Apr 2, 2005
East Troy, WI 53120
I'm planning to change the valve stem oil seals on my '91, since it needs to be done and that puff of blue smoke is a little bit ghetto.

Problem is that when I look at the TSRM, it tells me I need to also replace something that's just called "Snap Ring". It's underneath the Valve Guide Bushing in the exploded view of the cylinder head that the TSRM has. If you want to see what I'm talking about, it's on page EM-32. Use your own TSRM or go to the electronic one, either way works.

Anyhow, I've called around to some Toyota dealers and I've looked at Champion's online parts catalog. I've even looked in CygnusX1's online parts catalog and there's no mention of anything below the Valve Spring Seat anywhere. No bushing, no snap ring, no nothing. One of the people from Schaumburg even faxed me a picture of what his book shows and it definitely didn't show the bushing OR the snap ring I apparently need. It also didn't show the cam oil seals, but that's not to this topic.

So in short, the point I'm trying to get at is.. ..do I need to remove this "Snap Ring" in order to do work on the head, and if I do can it actually be re-used? If it can't be re-used, where am I supposed to get one?

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
No snap ring I'm aware of. It could be talking about the ring that holds the valve guide in the head... If it's that, you don't need it unless replacing the valve guides.

kntmikado

Rage Your Dream...
Apr 2, 2005
East Troy, WI 53120
Yeah, that. It's underneath the valve guide bushing. If I'm going to replace that bushing (such as having the head rebuilt) can I re-use that ring, or where do I get new ones? I'm going to need 24...

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
I think you'll find the new bushings will probably have them already. Also, if you're having the head fully rebuilt (and I don't know how common it is to need the valve guides replaced), I'd say there's a good chance the machinist will be able to get all of that for you.

kntmikado

Rage Your Dream...
Apr 2, 2005
East Troy, WI 53120
Okay. Spoke to him, with... err.. not that great of results. He wound up trying to tell me my problem was something else altogether.

I think I'll hand it over to a machine shop and let them deal with it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
kntmikado said:
I think I'll hand it over to a machine shop and let them deal with it.

That is how I have done things. Take them the cylinder head rebuild parts when/if you are having a valve job done.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
Nick M said:
That is how I have done things. Take them the cylinder head rebuild parts when/if you are having a valve job done.

Yeah, me too. Too many special tools I did not have and after cleaning the valves and lapping the seats, I needed several different shims. He had the "bucket of shim" to make thing easier.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
I am paying a machine shop here in town that works out of the old napa bldg. He's checked it for cracks and has decked the head, I finally tried to buy a gasket set from ebay. Sent a money order and never recieved the gaskets. Now the machinist has outsourced for valve seals, and I am buying the gasket set for his price. He's going to reshim and everything. I told him not to go over 500 bucks. The head must be immaculate. I thought about the valve job then I thought about the tsrm and I opted against doing it myself.

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Yeah, it's not a real fun job. I did it on my 5M head and there are only 12 valves, although I only did the DIY valve lapping, no grinding with a machine. My motor was fairly high mileage that had lots of face/seat wear but nowhere near enough guide wear to need replacing. I think the motor had about 150,000 miles on it. I really don't know of too many cases where the guides need replacing. Your machinist should be able to tell you pretty quickly though.